Born in Madeira, raised in Sydney, living in Melbourne and dreaming of Bali...
Published January 17th 2022
Whether you're avoiding catching the Omicron or Delta strain of covid at the moment, or recovering from it - making sure you have a strong and healthy immune system has never been more important.
About the immune system:
The body's immune system is made up of different organs, cells, and proteins, whose job is to protect us from and fight against the invasion of germs, bacteria, viruses and toxins!
The innate immune system is made up of the skin, the eye's cornea, and the mucous membrane in the respiratory, gastrointestinal, and genitourinary tracts to create a physical barrier. The acquired immune system makes special proteins (called antibodies) to protect your body after you have been exposed. Getting vaccinated is a way to train our acquired immune system to make these antibodies Read more.
Living a healthy, balanced lifestyle is the easiest way to keep your immune system healthy and working properly. This includes eating a balanced diet with plenty of fruit and veggies, exercising regularly, limiting alcohol, not smoking, getting enough sleep, maintaining good hygiene and minimising stress.
The mere act of brewing a fresh pot of tea can have an immediate calming effect, but tea is also high in antioxidants and a tasty source of hydration. Some types of tea also contain antiviral, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties and ingredients that can help prevent illness and/ or soothe your body and ease symptoms while you recover.
Ingredients such as turmeric, ginger, liquorice, lemongrass, chamomile, echinacea, elderflower, calendula, cinnamon, hibiscus and rosehip have been used around the world for hundreds of years to provide a range of natural health benefits.
Source: Bodhi Organic Tea - immuniTEA
13 of the best immune-boosting teas to incorporate into your daily health routine:
1. Bodhi Organic Tea - immuniTEA: made with 100% certified organic Echinacea, spearmint, elderflower, ginger root, elderberry and lemongrass, this tea will help bolster the immune defences to fight off colds and flu and other infections. BUY.
2. Organic Merchant - Immune Tea: containing 100% organic Echinacea Plant, Yarrow Flower, Peppermint Leaf, Elder Berry, Rose Hip, Ginger Root, Lemon Peel, Elder Flower to help boost your immune system naturally. BUY.
3. Stone & Grove - Immunity Olive Leaf Tea: combining the benefits of olive leaf antioxidants with echinacea root, ginger, liquorice root and lemongrass to promote your general wellbeing. BUY.
4.TTotaler - Australian Immune Boost Tea: a herbal blend of echinacea, olive leaf, rosehip, calendula and aniseed myrtle. The perfect tisane to boost your immune system and fight off any unwanted cold. BUY.
5. Beit e'Shai - Immunity Organic Herbal Tea: a spicy blend of Peppermint, Lemon Verbena, Thyme, Ginger, Turmeric to strengthen the immune system and reinvigorate yourself. BUY
6. Organics for Lily - Cold & Flu Tea: helps to relieve the symptoms of colds and flu, and reduce congestion, fever, mucous, inflammation and headaches. BUY.
7. Tea Treat Blends - Immunity: Restore, protect and strengthen your immune system with this immune tonic. Great for when you're generally run down or fighting upper respiratory infections and colds. BUY.
8. Kintonik - Winter Solstice: this antioxidant blend with warming ginger and lemon myrtle botanicals, nourishes and replenishes the adrenal glands, building immunity and increasing overall vitality. BUY.
9. Kohli Tea Emporium - Winter Blues: a warming blend of ginger, lemongrass and blue butterfly pea (considered a superfood) with an intense blue colour, to assist with reducing the effects of colds. BUY.
10. Rujani - Wellness Tea: a blend of organic green tea with liquorice root, Tulsi and the Ayurvedic herb Ashwagandha, or Indian ginseng, to help your body manage stress. BUY.
11. Spice Zen - Immunity Tisane: contains a herb & spice blend with antioxidant, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, immune-boosting and stress-relieving properties to energise and nourish. BUY.
12. Drink More Tea - Immunity: like a medicine chest in a cup, a vibrant, refreshing blend of lemongrass, ginger, peppermint, fennel, liquorice, Echinacea and Elderflower. BUY.
13. Organic India - Tulsi Turmeric Ginger: Tulsi's adaptogenic and antioxidant qualities combined with Turmeric, Ginger, Cinnamon and spices to boost the body's natural immune and inflammation response systems. BUY.
Important health information: While tea has been used in herbal medicine for hundreds of years it is not a replacement for proper medical treatment. Always check with your doctor before incorporating any new or different products or practices into your health routine - particularly if you have an existing condition or chronic illness.
Love tea and looking for more blends and brews to try? Check out the Sydney Tea Festival and Melbourne Tea Festival past stallholders lists - just because we can't attend the festivals IRL doesn't mean we can't enjoy a cuppa or few...