Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
list an event      1 million Australian readers every month      facebook

HWKR Food Centre

Home > Melbourne > Dinner | Family | Food and Wine | Fun Things To Do | Lunch
by Joy (subscribe)
“Creativity Is Intelligence Having Fun.” – Albert Einstein
Published June 15th 2018
Lobster rolls, crab tacos, pork belly, curries and more
Image by Joy


HWKR Food Centre is the brand new Asian Hawker food centre in Melbourne. Thinking outside the box, they have created a platform for various Melbourne restaurants to showcase their menu on a three-month rotating basis. The current tenants are Wonderbao, Messina, Pinchy's, Chanteen, Khao, Manymore. But the list of merchants will evolve every 3 months to keep things interesting and to give consumers the opportunity to sate their palates with diverse and scrumptious food.

Let's embark on a remarkable gastronomic journey!

Pinchy's will woo you with their delectable seafood offering. Introduce your taste buds to the likes of lobster rolls, Alaskan king crab rolls, salted egg noodles with tempura prawns and lobster, Alaskan king crab tacos and more. My personal favourites are the Alaskan king crab rolls and the lobster rolls which offer salty/sweet/sour/spicy flavours. The crunchy brioche buns are delicate repositories for succulent and fresh lobster meat and crab meat. The accompanying chips are crunchy and tasty. Every mouthful delivers foodie delight and leaves you desiring more. The serving sizes are quite small but the flavours are moreish. Priced from $9 to $24 the dishes are aspirational and inspirational.

Image by Joy


Image by Joy


KHAO is the latest creation from the Rice Paper Scissors family and has an interesting lineup of dishes and flavours sourced from Bali and the Philippines. The curries are thicker than normal curries and have a slight kick to them. The exotic menu may leave you drooling. Dishes are priced from $12 to $17.

Image by Joy


Wonderbao will sweep you off your feet with their neat little menu with prices ranging from $7 to $17. Try the crackling pork belly bao with hoisin sauce and pickles. The soft bao lovingly envelopes the tender and juicy pork belly with crunchy crackling. This dish is guaranteed to appeal to your palate.

Image by Joy


Chanteen by Diana Chan has unique things to offer. Sample their soft shell crab sliders to savour the crunchiness of the deep-fried crab paired with kewpie slaw. You will be licking your fingers clean. The incorporation of the Singaporean and Malaysian cooking techniques into the menu makes the menu stand out. The dishes are priced from $12 to $26.

Image by Joy


The veritable Melbourne institution, Messina, has a flamboyant presence with its unique collection of desserts with $14-$15 price tags. Whet your appetite with a tasty puff pastry with spiced apple gelato or mushroom dessert with peanut butter and gelato. The creative desserts have layers and layers of surprises to keep you intrigued and entertained.

Image by Joy


Image by Joy


And if all the good food gets you thirsty, hydrate yourself with a tasty glass of chilled Thai milk tea or a cocktail or two from Manymore. The Thai milk tea has the right level of sweetness and still retains the tea flavour. Manymore is also the only permanent tenant of HWKR. This cafe/bar aims to donate 90 per cent of its profits to food-related charities while the remaining 10 per cent is channelled to charities like Ygap and the YMCA.

Image by Joy


HWKR has a funky vibe with a mellow ambiance which is conducive to conversation. The modern, spacious and casual sitting arrangement ensures that you can hang with family and friends to share a good time over good food.

HWKR is open 7 days a week.
Saturday 10am–11pm
Sunday 10am–10pm
Monday 7am–10pm
Tuesday 7am–10pm
Wednesday 7am–10pm
Thursday 7am–10pm
Friday 7am–11pm

HWKR awaits you at 137 A'Beckett St, Melbourne CBD.
Help us improve  Click here if you liked this article  49
Share: email  facebook  twitter
Why? To sample food from all over the world
When: Open 7 days a week
Phone: (03) 9018 7135
Where: 137 A'Beckett St, Melbourne VIC 3000
Cost: Varies
Your Comment
Great pics Joy! All of a sudden, my tuna and salad roll for lunch is looking pretty unappetising!
by Julia A (score: 1|28) 97 days ago
haha...thanks Julia
by Joy (score: 3|1890) 95 days ago
Featured
Foodi Photoh Classie
Top Events
Popular Articles
Categories
Lists
Questions