Getting stuff for free is always great. If you can save money and get it for free, why not? There are quite a few ways how to score yourself some freebies which I will outline in this article.
1. Check Facebook for people giving stuff away
More often than not, when a person or family moves out of their home they will give away a bunch of items because they simply can't bear the thought of taking all those items with them. Many people place these on their front lawns with signs saying "Free". This is a golden opportunity to grab yourself some free stuff, it may be a new bed, couch, lamp, kids toys, books or clothes. The person will post a photo of this generally on Facebook groups so keep an eye out. Always thank the person who is offering these items for free.
2. Check your local library Libraries occasionally have boxes near the front desk or entrance with a free sign on it with old books they are getting rid of. Sometimes these books may be slightly damaged or not popular anymore. Help yourself to a book or two, make sure you leave some for others though.
3. Markets Trash and treasure markets are excellent for grabbing yourself some bargains, but did you know a lot of stall holders give stuff away for free at the end of the day? A local I go to sometimes have regular sellers who flog some items for free before they pack up because by they don't want to cart it all home. Try and get to the market an hour before it closes and you may walk away with some freebies.
4. Garage Sales Similar with markets, some garage sale hosts may give away some free items towards the end of the sale so they don't need to bring so much back inside the house. I have scored myself a few items for free from garage sales because the owner simply wants to clear out space and wants the items gone.
5. Websites dedicated to free stuff There are some websites out there which you can join that allows people to list their unwanted stuff for free and to browse for free items. A popular one is Freecycle and aims to keep stuff out of landfill.
6. Op Shops
Some op shops have a freebie bin or table with items that may have been at the shop for an extended period of time or not so suitable for selling. Common items you may grab for free are magazines, kids toys, books, ornaments, and clothing.
A few op shops I have been to offer this with a limit of one or two items per customer.
All these options are great ways of sourcing items for free especially if you are tight on money and need to save where you can.