A Melbourne girl at heart, I'm always looking for new adventures...
Published April 6th 2013
Spread some happiness
When was the last time someone made your day? What was it that made that day special?
In our fast-paced world, we don't always take time to show people how we feel, to say a simple thank you or to make someone feel special.
Whether it is someone you're close to or a stranger you just met, we all deserve to feel like we are not alone and that we are appreciated. And it doesn't have to cost a fortune. Often the most thoughtful things are the simplest.
So here's a list of a few simple ways to make someone's day:
1. Give someone some flowers Whether you buy a bouquet for someone special or maybe you just pick up a single flower from the street somewhere on your way to work… I'm sure it will put a smile on someone's face. Tell them that you saw it and thought they might like it or just thought you'd share it with them. Put it in your office somewhere everyone can see. Spread their colours and smells….
2. Write a thank-you note This is a dying tradition but it never fails to make someone feel special. Whether you post it and it costs the price of the stamp or you hand deliver it, it's the words and the sentiment that count. Some simple and honest words will go a long way. Over the years I have kept all of my thank-you notes. They were simple but made me feel appreciated and like what I did actually mattered.
3. Give a someone a compliment Again, this could be someone you know doing something you appreciate or a stranger on the train on your way to work who is wearing something unique. People like to be noticed and they remember when something attracts compliments.
4. Offer to help someone in need While this may sound hard, it's simple if you just pay attention and listen. A lot of the time people are asking for help without really saying the words. Even just offering to help someone will make them feel appreciated, because it really is the thought that counts.
On the other hand, this could be helping someone you don't know. Help someone whose hands are full open the door; give up your seat for someone older than you… While this one may sound silly, manners and common sense are not so common anymore and they can make a difference, even if they don't say thank-you, you'll still feel the difference for doing the right thing.
5. Send money to someone who needs it
If you know someone who is struggling financially, send them some money anonymously in the mail. Even just $20 can really help someone and it shows them that someone out there cares enough to send it in the first place. They'll be tickled pink and be surprised, wondering who sent it.
6. Remember someone's birthday
Of course, we're all very busy living our lives to remember everyone's birthday, but a simple birthday card can really make someone feel special. Even a simple phone call can mean the world. Sing someone happy birthday! I understand that sometimes you want to text, email or write on Facebook but that's so impersonal. People you don't even know that well write happy birthday on Facebook. So when it's someone you care about, care enough to make them feel special with a card or call.
I'm sure there are many more ways to make someone feel special, but hopefully with simple things you can make someone's day and bring that little bit of extra joy to their lives!