In today's world, where work takes up much of our time, the definition of socialising has changed. Chit-chat at restaurant dinner tables is quite a common picture in our fast-paced life. Let's face it, who has the time to cook after a long day at work? The simple solution to this problem - dine in or just order! After all, food is just a phone call away!
Probably, that is also a problem for many of us rather than a solution. While we're watching our weight or simply trying to shed the extra pounds, the convenience of ordering food or fast food can be more of a curse than a blessing. However, there are 5 simple rules you can follow each time you order food or dine out and can be tension-free about gaining weight.
Here's what you've got to watch out for:
• Avoid any forms of carbs or at least minimise the portion of carbs - Whenever you're having that meaty steak or any protein, simply go for some fresh salad or vegetables on the side rather than rice or mashed potatoes. This way you're controlling your calorie intake and you can enjoy a delicious meal without having to worry about gaining weight. Carbs intake place a huge role in any weight-loss program or even if you're trying to maintain your weight. Just try it once and you'll see the difference very soon!
• Avoid deep-fried food and go for the grill - This is the worst kind of food you can have while you're dining out. Just imagine French fries (which is just on the side) - you are actually consuming carbs, deep fried in oil and with salt. Yikes! And this is just on the side with probably a 400-500 calorie burger and fizzy drinks. The fried chicken and French fries might be the best food you can think of while on the run for a quick lunch break, but the worst kind of food for your health! If instead of fried chicken, you can have some grilled protein like grilled chicken or fish fillet, it will be not only tasteful but also healthy. Also, if you do want to have something on the side, you can avoid the French fries or wedges and opt for some baked potatoes instead.
• Say NO to desserts - The sweet-toothed people out there, you must watch your cravings for a sweet ending after the meal! If you are craving badly, once in a while (once a month) won't do much harm. But, you must avoid having it on regular basis. Or, you can have some fruits as dessert like cherries or strawberries, if you like, instead of some rich molten cake or ice cream. Smoothies and frappes with a cream topping are equally high in sugar and calories. You wouldn't want your weighing scale to shoot up!
• Share out those huge portions - At lot of dine-in restaurants, the portions could be a lot more than your daily intake portions. Simply share it out when you're with your group of friends or simply take away half the portion for dinner or the lunch the following day. This way, you are cutting down on your calorie intake and also you won't push yourself to finish out the huge portion and feeling bloated after your meal.
• Spend at least 30 minutes of brisk walking or some form of cardio exercise routine - Lifestyle today requires most of us to spend around 8-10 hours sitting - either in front of the television or laptop. Just make sure you have at least 30 minutes of exercise or simply brisk walking five days a week. You could take the stairs instead of the lift or walk home from your metro station. This will increase your metabolism and build up muscles which will prevent from storing up fats.
Just try out the simple tricks above and you will notice a difference for sure! If you are dining out regularly and want to maintain your weight then these rules will definitely help in keeping your weight on track! Do share your experiences.