Passionate writer who loves to explore and travel. Lover of food. Photography is something I enjoy, I take pictures wherever I go!
Published June 2nd 2013
Break the Hate
Confidence is not something everyone is born with. Some people really struggle to have confidence in themselves, and this can lead to a negative self esteem. Sometimes it can be hard for someone to develop self confidence, but there are plenty of ways to boost your self esteem and you will find that you are happier and healthier.
1. Look at what you have already achieved Too often you will see people who focus on all the things that they haven't done, instead of all the positive things that they have. So focus on all those things in your life, whether they are big or small that you have achieved and this will help you stay positive.
It's common for people to feel as though they haven't achieved anything, but by focusing on those small steps, you will feel much better about yourself. You could write down a list of all of the things you have achieved, those things that make you feel good about yourself and things you are proud of. Have this in a special place in your house and whenever you feel down about yourself, pull it out to remind you of the amazing things you have achieved.
2. Recognise and embrace your positive qualities Everyone has at least one thing they like about themselves, so write a list of all the positive things you like about yourself. It could be that you have a good heart, you care about others, you are a trustworthy person, you might be good at singing or playing guitar, but whatever it is, they are the things that make you who you are so embrace these instead of focusing on what you perceive to be negative about yourself.
3. Believe in yourself and in your own worth I know from experience that you don't always think positively about yourself. You pick out the things about yourself that you don't like or that you would want to change. This type of thinking can stop you from realising your true value. There is something unique and special about all of us. The first step in unlocking those unique qualities is to believe in yourself. Accept that you are special and that people love you for who you are.
4. Avoid perfectionism This stops you from accomplishing your goals because you become too focused on making everything in your life perfect.
5. Help others Many people feel good about themselves when they see that they can make a positive influence on someone else. By smiling at someone, or helping someone out with their assignment, can help you recognise that you have a good heart and that people appreciate you, helping boost your self confidence.
6. Create daily affirmations This can help to boost your self esteem every day.
7. Be your own person
Don't try to be someone else. Learn to accept yourself for who and what you are instead of pretending to be someone you're not. You should try to be the best you possible, because there is no other you.
8. Avoid negative people Negative people are those that have nothing better to do than to try and bring the people around them down. You need to surround yourself with positive people, who will make you feel good about yourself, not ones that will have a negative impact on your self confidence.
9. Reward yourself when you succeed
10. Stop the negative thoughts People judge themselves too harshly and they focus on the negative things they think about themselves. Instead of focusing on negative thoughts, stop them. This will help you to feel better about yourself and increase your self confidence immensely.
Stop negative thoughts
11. Face your fears and learn from your failures
12. Set some goals
13. Talk yourself up
14. Look in the mirror and smile
Instead of looking in the mirror and focusing on those aspects that make you unhappy about yourself, try looking in the mirror and smiling about those things you like about yourself. This will boost your self esteem and make you feel better about yourself as a person. If you can see the positives in you, then other people will be able to as well.
15. Accept compliments gracefully
I know it's hard to accept compliments, but honestly, compliments are a major confidence booster and they can be really helpful in improving your self esteem. So take them on board, instead of just shrugging them off.
16. Be thankful for what you do have.
It's very common that people's problem with self esteem and confidence stems from the feeling that they are not good enough because they don't have enough. By people accepting what they do have and being thankful for it, they will learn to be happier people and you will combat the feelings of being inadequate.
17. Dress nicely
Everyone likes to feel good in what they are wearing. One of the most common ways for people's self esteem to drop is if they are out in public and they don't feel that they are "dressed nicely enough". People are too critical of their physical appearance. If you feel that you look good, you will have a more positive interaction with those around you because you feel happier about yourself. Wear something you feel comfortable and happy in, something that you feel makes you look good, because this projects self confidence and security within yourself.
18. Get a hobby
Do something you enjoy.
19. Work out
People's physical appearance is one of the root causes of self esteem issues so it is important for people to feel good and feel that they look good. Working out is becoming even more popular these days because people can have control over how they look. If someone feels they are out of shape or they don't look good, this can result in them feeling embarrassed, ashamed and unattractive.
20. Talk to family members and friends about any issues you might be having.