Live life, love life, and above all, don't forget to laugh along the way!
Published December 3rd 2012
A movie marathon with a difference
Don't know what to do this weekend? Too broke to party? Have a bad movie night! A bad movie night promises drama, gore, thrills and comedy for one-third the price of a night out on the town.
Here's how you do it.
Popcorn By cyclonebill / CC-BY-SA-2.0, via Wikimedia Commons
1. Gather all your bored and broke friends and invite them over to your place.
2. Head out to the local video rental shop and choose your films. You can randomly choose any bad film, or follow a theme such as bad shark movies or something similar.
3. Get the food ready. A really great movie marathon always has food. You can get each of your friends to bring snacks and drinks, or get some pizza delivered.
4. Pop in the films and have a good laugh at the ridiculous plots and low-budget special effects.
5. To add to the excitement, you can try playing games such as drinking each time the leading lady screams, placing bets on which character dies first or spotting goofs in the movie.
By Kosboot (Own work)/CC-BY-SA-3.0
And because I am guilty of frequent bad movie marathons, here are some suggestions to get you started.
Shark Attack 3: Megalodon Fans of Doctor Who and Torchwood will recognize John Barrowman testing his acting chops in this shark thriller. The plot follows lifeguard, Ben (Barrowman), as he tries to exterminate a prehistoric shark terrorizing the beach resort he guards. Watch out for Barrowman's rather risqué pick-up line.
Primeval A news team goes on the hunt for a killer croc in Africa, and faces a brutal warlord along the way. Yawn. I don't remember much of this movie except that it was dark all the time.
The Police Academy Series
I have to admit, this series is a favourite of mine. The escapades of the awkwardly lovable trainee police officers are so absurd, they might actually happen. There are 7 movies in this series and watching all is a marathon in itself.
Johnny Depp, Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter. What could go wrong? Everything, apparently, in this sleeper of a movie. However, if you have ever wondered how Johnny Depp would fare as a vampire, this is the movie for you.
Looking for blood, gore, young nubile party-goers and flesh-eating fish? This movie has got it all! I have to admit I really enjoyed this one as it did not take itself too seriously. Body parts and appendages get chomped on in full colour, and there is one bit in the movie where it might be slightly traumatizing for the guys. You have been warned.
Big Trouble in Little China
This movie stars Kurt Russell and Kim Cattrall (of Sex and the City) before they were famous. Jack Burton (Russell) is a trucker whose fiancée is kidnapped to be part of a magical ritual in Chinatown. As he attempts to rescue her, he is embroiled in a battle between good and evil with a Chinese wizard and his three mystical henchmen (Thunder, Lightning and Rain). Mysterious rituals, strange wizards and magic powers – this is going to be good!