Aspiring writer (particularly in film & music). Pop culture enthusiast.
Published November 2nd 2011
Instead of using can tomatoes for a change, why not try to make your own sauce? It's not as hard as you'd think.
Ingredients: Serves 6 large plates 1. 3-5kg of fresh tomatoes 2. 1 clove of garlic 3. Water 4. Olive oil
Method: 1. Wash your tomatoes thoroughly.
2. Using a large saucepan add a small amount of water to it. Add your tomatoes and bring to the boil.
3. When the skin of your tomatoes start to peel away, then it's time to take them off the heat.
4. Drain your tomatoes using a colander.
5. Using a vegetable mill transfer tomatoes a small amount at a time and puree them.
6. When you're finished, heat garlic and olive oil in a saucepan. Lightly fry the garlic and then remove it. Add your tomatoes to the pan and bring to a light boil and then leave it on a simmer for 2 hours. Season with salt.
7. Now you have your own homemade fresh tomato sauce. Serve with the pasta of your choice and garnish with basil leaves.