With Easter just around the corner - why not bake your own Hot Cross Buns? Kids and adults alike will enjoy embracing the spirit of the Easter season, rolling out the dough and singing - "Hot Cross buns, Hot Cross Buns, one a penny, two a penny Hot Cross Buns."
My kids like this basic recipe:
12 Hot Cross Buns
Dough Ingredients": 10g yeast 100g lukewarm water 400g baker's flour (we used spelt) 100ml milk
50g plain flour
15g caster sugar
1) Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water, combine with 100g baker's flour, cover with plastic wrap and leave for 2 hours.
2) Add rest of the dough ingredients and mix with dough hook on speed 1 (or knead for 25 mins by hand).
3) Cover and leave in a warm place to rise for a further 45 minutes.
4) Divide dough mixture into 12 even balls and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Allow to rise 10 minutes.
5) Glaze with a little milk, mix the three "Cross ingredients", then pipe on the crosses.
6) Bake @ 200 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes, or until golden.
7) Enjoy piping hot with plenty of butter.