Historical Buildings in Whites Valley

Historical Buildings in Whites Valley

Post
Subscribe

Posted 2024-04-18 by Audreyfollow
A once-thriving community, Whites Valley has a flour-milling history dating back to the early 19th century. Samuel White arrived from England in 1839 and took up residence near Aldinga after initially working in Adelaide. He established a farm and built not only large flour mill buildings but also cottages for himself and his mill workers.

Rotten Row


The mill despatched flour (a scarce and expensive commodity at that time) to Port Willunga by bullock dray for export using White's own ship. It featured a 12-metre-high tower overlooking Aldinga Bay which was used to watch for and signal ships. However, by the 1860s, drought and diminishing wheat production had ceased the milling business, and subsequently, White became bankrupt. Although the mill itself was demolished, a row of worker's cottages still stand today at 110 Little Road. The Rotten Row was constructed as part of the mill complex.

7 Adey Road


Another cottage associated with the mill can be found at 7 Adey Road. Its basic form has been retained although extensions were added later. The walls were of early brickwork.

Further down at number 40 is Paddy's Row . This low-scaled residence was associated with the mill too. It was constructed of random stone and has early timber casement windows.

Hay Cottage


Hay Cottage is also a possible remnant of the mill complex. It was built into the side of a hill, and its front section consists of two storeys. It sits on private property some distance away from Little Road. We were on a guided tour and hence had the privilege of visiting the site and seeing the cottage first-hand.

Mulberry Tree Cottage


Besides White, Brant Butterworth operated a flour mill in the area as well. As part of Butterworth's enterprises, the farmhouse in which he and his wife lived has survived to this day. Mulberry Tree Cottage at 76 Flour Mill Road derived its name from a mulberry tree in the front garden. It was constructed of random limestone with brick dressing. Butterworth's mill farm and flour mill were located nearby.

Former butter factory


George Adey was another key figure during that time. The publican ran the former Hampshire Hotel from 1853 to 1863 and has since been commemorated in the naming of the main street. Located at 72 Little Road, the hotel was constructed using a design similar to that of the cottages - casement windows and stone walls.

Free Presbyterian Church ruins


In addition to the hotel, several churches were built for congregational worship. The Free Presbyterian Church opened in 1856, however, it was closed within a couple of decades. This was due to insufficient funding for the minister's salary. Today, all that's left of the rectangular building is a ruined shell along Free Lane. A four-legged friend greeted us while we were there.

Duncan Stewart's house ruins


Among the trustees of the church was Duncan Stewart who came from Scotland in the early 1840s. He served as a Justice of the Peace and was involved in various agricultural endeavours. The remains of his house can be found at 6 Bayliss Road. Stewart's daughter Mary married Brant Butterworth.

Many other historical buildings exist in Whites Valley, and it is hoped that this article has whetted your appetite to discover more about the place and its people.

%wnadelaide

#outdoor
#educational
283635 - 2024-04-16 22:12:26

Tags

Free
Outdoor
Festivals
Music
Markets
Nightlife
Family_friendly
Fundraisers
Food_drink
Community
Arts_culture
Random
Educational
Theatre_shows
Shopping_markets
Copyright 2024 OatLabs ABN 18113479226