The oldest complete settlers' cottage in Australia
Join the Friends of Addington welcome guests and visitors every third Sunday of the month
Historic Addington is Australia's oldest complete settlers' cottage. It is located at 813-815 Victoria Road, Ryde, NSW and is open to the public on the third Sunday of each month from 2PM to 4PM. The Friends of Addington Society and volunteers serve billy tea and Devonshire teas.
Addington stands on land originally granted to James Stewart in 1794. It was later occupied by Isaac Shepherd, son of convict James Shepherd who purchased the farm in 1809. The City of Ryde purchased Addington in 1985 and started restoration in 1988. It describes Addington as "... a single storey house in a colonial vernacular style built of sandstone with a brick wing at the rear. The facade facing Victoria Road is symmetrical with three hipped slate roof forms with portions of iron tiles. There is also a two room attic with rear facing dormer windows, in the central portion. A straight pitched verandah to the east and south is supported on simple rectangular timber posts."