Approximately five kilometres east of Adelaide city
Surveyed by J H Hughes in 1838, Kensington is one of Adelaide's older settlements. The intersection of Bridge Street and High Street soon became a bustling centre with the Rising Sun Hotel, Aldridge bakery and Hughes butcher shop on its corners. A number of historical buildings still stand to this day.
The magnificent two-storey hotel was built for brewer Sir Edwin T Smith in 1882. It was designed by architect William McMinn and had 34 rooms. Smith transferred the licence and name from the nearby Rising Sun Inn. However, High Street declined as a commercial hub when electric trams were introduced along The Parade. The hotel closed as a result of local option poll.
As one of the earliest businessmen in the village, George Aldridge started carrying bread by foot before subsequently using a pony cart for his bakery. Other early residents include Charles Dalton who opened the first chemist, Saint Mary MacKillop who built the first Josephite chapel and convent, and Dr Thomas Taylor who owned a doctor's surgery as well as his house next door. Taylor was the ship's surgeon on the Derwent.
Last but not least, a church was established at the corner of Maesbury Street for local worship. Property developer John Roberts played a significant role in this establishment. Later, the church was taken over by various other Christian groups before being sold into private ownership. Just as a quick diversion, you'll find the oldest house in Kensington further along Maesbury Street.