Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
Home > Adelaide > Comments > Should Adelaide Go High Rise?
Your Reply
Optional Image: (jpg or gif)
Your Email:

Security Image:
lzavyr
Security Text:
copy text from image above
Highlighted
minimum score: order: subscribe:
I think Adelaide needs to increase its population, but not outward as it has in the past: there are vast underdeveloped areas in the western suburbs virtually devoid of life, which could be redeveloped with medium density housing up to say 3-6 levels. People also want a mix of residential styles and not everyone can afford an inner urban house on 600 sqm. We need to increase density, to go up, to increase efficiency in all respects but we need to do it sensitively, with predetermined and clear rules. People have said medium density produces social ills- well this would mean that 99% of the glamourous cities of the world are just pits of depravity. And this is worse than the wasteland of the north western suburbs? I don't think so. high rise does not have to be staright up and down blocks of horror- they can be terraced wonderlands with hanging gardens and zero carbon footprint, if people want them to be. blocking views to the hills?: I was driving up Greenhill road, and the last thing on my mind was the hills: rather the insidious tailgaiters and the need to drive in peak hour petrol sniffing mayhem were my concerns, and if I got out and walked, the view to the hills was blocked by a bunch of gratuitously ugly commericial exercises in egoism...and if I crossed to the parkland side of the road, I would have been somewhat concerned about my safety- so I stayed on the south side and put up with the lame attempts at stained '80's architecture. sometimes I think Adelaide needs to go "vertical", just to give the Architects some scope to design something decent, rather than the squat poo brown horizontality that characterises Adelaide and its inner suburbs. We need a bit of razzamataz!!
by blove (score: 0|9) 3678 days ago
by cjdal (score: 1), 3673 days ago
I have lived in high rise flats/appartments in other states and I must say it was not a pleasant experience. High rise tends to become slum unless they are able to be afforded by people who earn more than the average wage and the denser the high rise developments the more the problems. If you are raising children give them a back yard to play in where they can kick a footy and play in safety, even the council provided parks in the suburbs now are banning balll games or bike riding etc etc. We need to have more affordable housing for young people to have the chance at owning their own patch.
by clyth (score: 1), 3675 days ago
I am somewhat concerned that all thought of over population seems to always be about Cities. Not necessarily upwards or outer Metro but in the greater rural regions. Sustainability should also include the need for food resources to sustain this. Our early pioneers were not afraid to go out in the remote Outback establishing primary production in crops, dairying, piggeries, wool, beef etc. but as a Grey Nomad I see so much of this fertile land now given over to either mining or huge station country owned by big multinational Companies. Thus the population in these areas has diminished. However we do see many once closed Service Stations now reopened as general stores or even remote orchards such as Mangos in the NT being operated by Migrants who are not intimidated by the remoteness of these. Science should have advanced rural living as more viable in today's world encouraging a greater population in remote areas instead of hugging the cities.
by James Newcombe (score: 2), 3677 days ago
Good comments, thanks.