I enjoy running, getting outdoors and baking sweet treats.
Subscribe to my articles to see what running events and other family activities I cover.
You can also contact me via the following www.kellynicoleodonnell.com
Published April 7th 2014
Step Up and Challenge Yourself
Looking for a new challenge and extend your running further? Well, a half marathon (21.1km) may just be the event for you. Whilst a half marathon requires more training than a 5km or 10km event, it is something to strive towards and does not require the long training hours of a full marathon (42.2km).
The half marathon has gained popularity in the last few years with lots of events scattered throughout Melbourne at various times of the year.
The half marathon distance gives you something longer and more challenging to work towards if you have already completed a few 5km or 10km races. There are a number of events in Melbourne in 2014 that you can register for now. So give yourself the goal to run a half.
1. VRR Westerfolds Park Half Marathon - 18 May 2014. This event is held in Westerfolds Park in Templestowe and organised by the Victorian Road Runners who present this event to both members and non-members. Their core aim is to keep the cost of running down.
Sourced from VRR website
The undulating two lap course takes you around the perimeter of the park and out along the Main Yarra Trail. The half marathon event commences at 8am with the cost unknown at this stage. Entry is only available on the day. For further information visit the VRR website.
2. Como Landing (South Yarra) - 25 May 2014. The Como Landing race is run by Sri Chinmoy, an organisation created by this spiritual leader, teacher, author, and athlete.
The Como Landing event also features a 7km and a 14km event. Participants run either 1, 2 or 3 laps with the half marathon entrants running 3 laps of the 7km course with an additional section at the start.
From Sri Chinmoy Como Landing Website
A course briefing is given 5 minutes before the commencement of the race. After the race there are pancakes for competitors to replenish any energy lost whilst racing.
Half marathon race entry is $30 online before 22 May or $35 on the day. All events commence at 8am. Further information regarding the course can be found here.
Image from Sri Chinmoy Website
3. Sri Chinmoy Albert Park Half Marathon - Sunday 22 June. This 4 lap lake event is a new venue for the Melbourne Sri Chinmoy series. The race commences on the Palms Lawn near the Bob Jane Stadium and off Aughtie Drive at 8 am.
Online entry is available from here at $30 (early bird) or $35 on the day. A course map is also available.
4. Run Melbourne - 27 July 2014. Run Melbourne is a half marathon event in which you will be pulled along amidst the sea of competitors. Competitors are to assemble at Federation Square in Melbourne's CBD where you will be directed to the race start area. The start times vary depending on the wave you are assigned to, with the first wave commencing at 7am. A warm up for all those doing the half marathon will commence at 6.30am.
The course takes you along the Yarra River, around the Botanic Gardens and over the Yarra River before finishing at Federation Square. Entry fees are $90 up until midday 27 June 2014 with $100 for entries received after this. The event gives you the opportunity to raise money for the charity of your choice and give something back to the community.
5. Melbourne Marathon - 12 October 2014. The Melbourne Marathon features the full marathon plus half marathon, 10km and 5km events. The half marathon event commences 150m north of the Rod Laver Arena in Batman Avenue at 8am. The course takes you along St Kilda Road and around Albert Park Lake before heading into the MCG for the finish.