OzHarvest prevent perishable food from becoming wasted landfill by collecting quality excess food from commercial outlets. It is then delivered to 600 different charities that provide assistance to vulnerable men, women and children.
OzHarvest is the only food rescue organisation in Australia. They source food from all types of food providers including: fruit and vegetable markets, supermarkets, hotels, wholesalers, catering companies, farmers, stadiums, shopping centres, delis, cafes, restaurants, corporate events, film and TV sets and boardrooms.
The brain child of Ronni Kahn, OzHarvest was born in 2004. In order to offer the food delivery service she had to engage lawyers and lobby state governments. Following the Civil Liabilities Amendment Act surplus food can now be donated to charitable causes without fear of liability. Ronni Kahn was named Australia's Local Hero of the Year in 2010 and has gone on to win other recognition.
• race between a series of iconic Adelaide food establishments and food rescue themed Race Stations
• be challenged to learn more about food security and homelessness
• test your food and nutrition knowledge
• be inspired and surprised by local food identities that support the work of OzHarvest
• rescue, deliver and cook with surplus food
• embrace food, community, sustainability, collaboration and fun!
• Nimble Noodles - the fastest team
• Clever Carrots - most accurate score
• Benevolent Baguettes - most funds raised by an individual team
• Overall race winner
• Santos (Principal Event Partner)
• Wines by Hither and Yon
• Adelaide Central Market
• Adelaide Oval
• Andre's Cucina
• 44 Community Television
• Government of South Australia: Community Benefit SA
• Hilton Adelaide
• Brand South Australia
• Tucker's Natural
• Splash Adelaide
• bigwig advertising and digital
So swap your city shoes for running shoes and enter the Great Food Rescue Race. Register now to race together for food rescue in November!
*Jenny Rossiter was an invited guest at the Media Launch.