A freelance writer, reviewer and broadcaster passionate about South Australia's fabulous wine and food.
Published July 1st 2015
Warm and warmer
As the temperature plummets and our toes get colder, think of the good things that accompany winter!
1. SOUP probably everyone's favourite food around this time of year. A good excuse to visit your local Farmers' Market and stock up on those yummy winter veggies. Think carrots, potatoes, pumpkin, celery, parsnips and onions. Then add them all to a pot of chicken stock (you can even use stock cubes) and voila! A beautiful, warming vegetable soup just crying out for warm crusty bread with lashings of thick butter.
2. WOOL thank you to all those sheep who donate their fleece to us for the woolly gloves, socks and beanies that keep the chill from those exposed bits of our anatomy! And isn't a hand spun, natural wool beanie a great fashion look!
Source: Zeitspieler / Wikimedia Commons
3. ELECTRIC BLANKETS don't tell me you never use one! The most important item in my winter linen cupboard is that dual control, pure wool electric blanket. When the other half complains about cold feet, who cares - just snuggle in and enjoy the all-over warmth.
4. MIST yes, that is a bit strange, but those soft misty mornings when you look out of the window and the world has an almost ethereal quality are so peaceful and calming, an invitation to stop and smell the roses (yes, I know it's the wrong season but it's the principal that counts).
5. DESSERTS when it's cold, you burn off extra calories, don't you? So it's quite alright to indulge in some of the scrumptious puddings and pies that only seem to appear in winter. Apple crumble, sticky date pudding, treacle tart and Spotted Dick resist if you can.
6. RAIN in the driest state, in the driest country, of course we love the rain! In summer we complain that everything is too dry and the rainwater tank is empty, so don't you dare complain when that welcome liquid falls from the sky.
7. WOOD FIRES they may be sustainably incorrect but we all know how good it is to sit by an open fire with a book and a large glass of port on a freezing wintry afternoon.
Source: Edoddridge / Wikimedia Commons
8. FORTIFIED WINES see above
9. KITCHENS I love to get into my kitchen, warm and comfortable from the heat of the oven, then bake bread, create pies and make soups and stews, so they're all ready to greet us when we come in from work cold and hungry. And then stock the freezer with leftover goodies for the next cold and wet night when it's so miserable you just want to hibernate.
10. FLOWERS Tulips, daffodils, freesias and jonquils yes, their appearance means it is just about time for SPRING!