The Geelong Carousel is located on the Geelong waterfront. This immaculately restored vintage carousel was built by Armitage-Herschell in 1892. There are only 200 of these carousels still operating around the world.
The carousel is housed in a purpose built glass pavilion. This allows for uninterrupted views of the Geelong waterfront precinct and across Corio Bay often dotted with yachts from the nearby sailing club.
Each horse has been painstakingly restored to its former brilliance. In fact of the 36 horses on the carousel 24 are original. The replicas however were hand carved using traditional techniques and authentic timber was imported from the United States making them impossible to differentiate from the originals.
To demonstrate scale of this restoration project a display has been set up featuring a few of the unrestored steads. Their sad chipped faces, flaking hides and unkempt manes are a stark contrast to the strikingly restored horses that make the circular journey on the carousel day after day.