A freelance writer living in Perth, WA. My blog is coming soon. Watch this space!
Published January 5th 2013
A few ideas for your spare time
It's always difficult to think of things to do on the holidays or weekends. You don't have much free time and you don't want to waste it. There are loads of easy things to do that don't need much organising and are basically free.
Here are a few things that you might like to try out in your spare time.
1. Organise A Recipe Swap. Get your family and friends together and swap your favourite recipes. Make it a fun afternoon or evening - organise a bit of afternoon tea or a few drinks and nibblies.
2. Start A New Family Tradition. It might be something like a movie night, a games night or a make your own taco meal night. It can be fun and easy for the whole family.
3. Learn Something New. Maybe learn a different language or a new hobby such as knitting, drawing, painting or scrapbooking. Maybe try a different style of cooking or try your hand at flower arranging. You can get the kids involved - ask them what they would like to learn.
4. Try Something You Think You Don't Like. Maybe something like trying a new food such as oysters or sushi or it might be trying a sport or exercise. You might find that you do like it after all.
5. Go For A Drive. Just get in the car and go for a mystery trip or take a scenic drive down the coast roads and country roads. If you don't like the idea of a mystery trip, you can always plan where you want to go.
6. Make Pizza From Scratch. Make your own dough, which isn't as hard as you might think, and top the pizza with all your favourite things. Try different combinations. Get the kids involved and let them help.
7. Play Some Board Games. If you haven't played board games for ages give them another go. They're free, easy to organise and loads of fun for all ages.
8. Organise An Afternoon Tea for Charity. Invite your friends and family over for a yummy afternoon tea, collect some money and donate it to your favourite charity.
9. Grow Your Own Herbs. Get the kids involved by letting them plant their own plants and look after them as they grown.
10. Go For A Walk. Taking a little exercise as a family can be fun. Walking is one of the easiest ways to do this, but make it interesting for everyone. You don't have to walk for miles, a short walk is just as much fun - walk on the beach and watch the sunset, walk in the park, by the lake or around an interesting tourist attraction near you.
These are just a few suggestions, I'm sure you can think of loads more. Most importantly, remember to spend some time with your family and friends, relax and have a little fun in your spare time.