Owns 'FoodLit'. Highly qualified, established food & lifestyle writer, former restaurateur, founder professional writing business, Articul8. Long, diverse writing history, passion for food culture, the land & inspired food language.www.foodlit.com.au
Are you a bit of a couch potato? If so, would you liken yourself to a sleek, slender french fry or a chunky potato wedge?
If leaning toward the latter, 5 Top Tips towards the finer French-style are coming your way:
1. Bury the Remote Control. Yes, that's right, put it away at the far end of the house – or give it to the dog. Now, you'll be forced to get up for reasons other than trudging to the kitchen for your next snack.
2. Plonk your Bot on an Exercise Ball. The dog, who can do quite well from your new fitness regime, can have the couch. In order to stay balanced on the ball, you have to keep abs and back muscles working. It's a great workout. If you slack off and fall off, don't lay immobile on the floor no matter how tempting. Back on the ball you go. Try balance a book on your head for more muscle mileage.
3. Trim your Fridge and Pantry. Pull out anything with high fat or sugar content, E-numbers, and unpronounceable ingredients. Donate them to charity. Actually, that's not fair. Give them to the dog. No, that's cruelty to animals. Best option is to exercise those many muscles in your foot – and toss them in the pedal bin.
4. Stop Eye-ing the Ironing. Just do it in front of the TV. While it ain't no marathon, it does get some muscles moving – and might even make you sweat if the steam's on – with the added bonus of getting the ironing done. Resist, I repeat, resist all temptation to simply put the wrinkled clothing on, lay on the floor and let your body heat do the work (which does work by the way; about five minutes on either side does the trick).
5. Play with Your Pets. If a cat, throw a ball of string or wool while holding onto one end. If a dog (small ideally for less damage), tie a bone to a piece of string and dangle and tease accordingly. While it might be only be you arm and a few fingers getting a work out, your efforts are at least helping your loved ones keep fit. The kids might even go for it too.
Lastly, resist all temptations to lick the chip image. It doesn't work by the way - no matter how many minutes you lick for.