A freelance writer living in Perth, WA. Not the droid you're looking for.
Published May 3rd 2012
Winter is fast approaching and that means lots of rain. Luckily the weather in Perth is fairly moderate but when it does start to rain, especially for days on end, we will all be looking for something to do that doesn't cost a fortune or even better, is free. Where can you go? What can you do?
1. Go window shopping. Stroll through the arcades of Perth or any of the many large shopping centres in the surrounding areas. Shopping malls are warm and dry and window shopping is free - and the next time you need something, you will know exactly where to go to get it. Or you may just see something that you will fall in love with something and just have to have there and then.
2. Visit the Library. Check out a couple of good books or see what kind of activities are going on. There is always something going on at your local library for everyone to enjoy.
3. Browse the indoor or undercover markets. Stroll through the stalls of Fremantle Markets or one of the many other markets in the local areas.
4. Take a CAT bus ride and see the city. There are some wonderful places to visit around the city and you may be surprised at some of the beauty around the city.
5. The Art Gallery of Western Australia houses some beautiful art pieces including the State Art Collection which includes art pieces by prominent Western Australian, Australian and International artists.
Along with the long term displays, The Art Gallery of Western Australia exhibits different short term collections at different times of the year. This offers you the chance to experience unique collections of historic and contemporary art works all year round.
6. See something amazing at The Western Australian Museum - home to a vast collection of local and travelling exhibitions. Housing fascinating long term displays of birds, butterflies, mammals and marine life, the museum also has a Diamonds to Dinosaurs exhibition and a discovery centre. The museum also features magnificent short term travelling exhibitions at different times during the year.
7. Visit the Maritime Museum Shipwreck Gallery in Fremantle. This museum has plenty of interesting displays and exhibits full of artefacts and relics, enough to keep you occupied for a couple of hours.
8. Feel like some retail therapy? Harbour Town Shopping Centre is a fantastic two story shopping complex full of name brand outlets and loads of places to grab a bite to eat. They always have plenty of specials on offer and you can usually pick up some of your favourite brands at half price. Harbour Town is not completely under cover but you can easily duck from store to store without getting too wet, plus you can spend hours there without spending a penny.
9. Tour some old historical buildings. There are plenty of old cultural, historical buildings in Fremantle and Perth, plenty of new and interesting ones too. Visit the old Fremantle Prison, the Roundhouse, the Cathedral or the Swan Bell Tower.
10. Take a walk in the rain. If you're one of those people who like to walk in the rain, grab your coat and umbrella and go for a stroll. Plenty of lovely place to see in Perth and the nearby areas, even in the rain.
There are always lots of free and interesting activities available, these are just a few suggestions of what to do on a rainy day in Perth and I'm sure you can think of loads more.