Spring is here so celebrate and cheer with these fantastic free events from fashion, footy, and fringe!
1. Melbourne Spring Fashion Week (MSFW) Be inspired by the latest fashion at the MSFW 2016, from 26th August-2nd September. Free and ticketed events, including workshops, runways, installations, exhibitions, pop-ups, and parties at various locations around the city.
2. Rewind '91: Celebrating 25 Years of Melbourne Central
Happy 25th birthday Melbourne Central! A month-long celebration will ensue in which Melbourne Central will be sharing and celebrating the stories of the centre, its retailers and shoppers.
Join in for 90s fashion, makeup and music throwbacks, and see how much Melbourne Central has changed over the years. Highlights of the celebrations include a unique Melbourne Central Virtual Reality experience, where you can take an immersive virtual tour of the history of Melbourne's Coops Shot Tower; 90's classics screenings at Hoyts Cinema; tours of the Shot Tower Museum; and a one-day Rewind '91 Shopping Festival on 14 September, with over 150 offers and from 10am-10pm.
3. Comedy and Music at Highlander The Highlander Bar has your midweek sorted with two nights in a row of free entertainment from September 18th through to December 29th.
Every second Wednesday 8pm-9:30pm, get your laughs at a fast-paced comedy show comprising six to eight comedians doing one short stand-up set each, followed by some impromptu to close. Upstairs in the Library at Highlander.
Thursdays 8pm-11pm, free live music. Up to three acts each night, playing styles from acoustic to rock, jazz, funk, soul, folk and rhythm and blues.
4. Foxtel Footy Festival September is footy fever in Melbourne as we watch to see the top 8 AFL teams battle it out in the finals for the premiership title.
The Foxtel Footy Festival lets fans experience the hype and all things footy. Located in Yarra Park outside Gate 3 at the MCG, the festival has food, music, movies, and of course, the Toyota AFL Grand Final Live Site for all things footy. Runs over four days from September 28th through to Grand Final Day on October 1st. Wed: noon – 5pm; Thu: 10am – 7pm; Fri: 10am – 7pm; Sat: 9am – 6pm. Find out more at afl.com.au/finals
5. Melbourne Fringe Festival Running from 15th September through to 2nd October, see inspirational works at the 2016 Melbourne Fringe Festival, including music, cabaret, performance and visual arts, dance, kids programs, and comedy, from over 4000 independent artists. A list of free events ensures no one misses out on this wonderful showcase of art!