Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
list an event      1 million Australian readers every month      facebook

Free Events for School Holidays

Home > Melbourne > School Holidays | Kids | Free | Family
by Nadine Cresswell-Myatt (subscribe)
Freelance writer exploring Melbourne and beyond. If you enjoy the following article click on the Like button, Facebook it to your friends or subscribe. I'll update you with yummy and often free events. Like my photos? I instagram @redbagwilltravel
Event: -
The best events for kids are all FREE
Look hard enough and there is lots on for your kids that is free and semi-educational and doesn't involve heading off to the cinema for yet another expensive outing.

Dinosaur Adventure at Eastland

july school holidays free events

Some kids are just obsessed with dinosaurs. These holidays they can meet life-sized dinosaurs stomping the malls at Eastland. These animatronic marvels chomp their jaws and thrash their gigantic tails. Follow up with a trip to the library for some books on dinosaurs to stretch the experience over a few more days of the holiday.

Eastland Shopping Centre, Monday 1st to Sunday 28th July daily

Indigenous Culture

Dreamtime Stories

july school holidays free events

This is the perfect activity for three - seven year olds. Dreamtime stories told by an Indigenous storyteller, in celebration of NAIDOC Week.

Thursday 11 July 2013, 11:00am - 12:00pm at Experimedia, main entry, Swanston Street. No bookings required

OR

Community Planting Day

Join the Wurundjeri community and Parks Victoria Rangers in a 'Welcome to Country' ceremony, bushland planting and barbecue in a place of Indigenous significance. BYO gumboots and gloves.

13 Jul 2013 11:00am-4:00pm ar Dandenong Police Paddocks Reserve. Booking not required

Junior Rangers Program - Winter Games


Junior Rangers always have a fantastic array of holiday programs that get kids away from screens and outside having fun. Their emphasis these holidays is on old-fashioned games such as
three-legged races, bocce, horse shoe throw, quoits, tunnel races, hoop'n'stick, fill the skip, sack races, hopscotch, skipping races and skittles. These are run at various venues including the Mornington Peninsula and Werribee. Check out their website here.

Polyglot Puppets at Fed Square


Meet the giant ants who need your kids help to find giant crumbs in Fed Square to make their nests. There is a whole performance involved and lots of fun.

Federation Square
Federation Square2 Swanston StreetMelbourne Vic 3000
The Atrium

Dates and times:
9th to the 14th of July

Tues: 11am 5pm
Wed: 11am 5pm
Thurs: 11am 5pm
Fri: 11am 5pm
Sat: 11am 5pm
Sun: 11am 5pm

For exact times please check here.



Kids in the Studio: Cut-Out Creations

Kids can create costumes for their own cut-out characters in these free drop-in workshops. Without realising it they are learning the basics of costume design using simple cut-out techniques. They can make costumes for a movie character or a character they have created for themselves.

Recommended for kids aged five to ten years. No bookings required.

Date:
1 Jul 2013 - 12 Jul 2013
Time:11am - 2pm
Location: ACMI Federation Square, River Tce
Help us improve  Click here if you liked this article  67
Share: email  facebook  twitter
Why? Go out without spending money with these great school holiday activities
When: July school holidays
Where: Various venutes
Cost: Free
Your Comment
Thank you for commenting. You make all that research worthwhile. I hope you enjoy the holidays with the kids. I do try to keep 80% of my articles about free things and the other 20% about unusual and interesting events. Best, Nadine.
by Nadine Cresswell-Myatt (score: 3|5520) 2130 days ago
Thanks Nadine for another great article with free activities for kids during the school holidays. It's good to know that you don't always have to spend a lot of money to keep the kids busy.
by Jojo.a.gogo (score: 2|200) 2130 days ago
great ideas to do with granddaughter, and affordable too!
by rinac (score: 1|15) 2129 days ago
Any ideas for older kids. I have an 10 yr old and a 14 yr old. Thank you in advance.
by lorra (score: 0|5) 2129 days ago
Any ideas for older kids. I have an 10 yr old and a 14 yr old. Thank you in advance.
by lorra (score: 0|5) 2129 days ago
you should try to make a activity for kids with yourself
by franc (score: 0|2) 2130 days ago
More Melbourne articles
Articles from other cities
Featured
Foodi Photoh Classie
Top Events
Popular Articles
Categories
Lists
Questions