A retired business owner, my passions are cooking, photography and eating. I use all three of these when I write for recipeyum.com.au which is on HubGarden
Published November 26th 2017
Chose one or several of these great free events for December
Curtin University, as well as being a University in Bentley, has a full programme of free events that are open to the general public as well as all students, and staff. Here are their events for the remainder of 2017:
1. Countdown to Christmas Party – The Countdown to Christmas is on and Curtin University in partnership with the Town of Victoria Park cordially invite students, staff and Perth's wider community to come and celebrate the start of the holiday season with a free, fun-filled day at the Bentley campus on Sunday 3rd December 2017.
The programme will commence at 4.30 pm and go until 8.00 pm in The Forum which is the grassed flagpole area, next to Aroma Café. This will include:
Food trucks at this event will include George's Kebabs, Dal Pizzaiolo, The Wicked Chilli, What the Bao, and The Pink Van.
The organisers are asking you to feel free to bring an unwrapped gift to donate to Parkerville Children's Home. Make sure you tell your friends about this interesting event for the whole family and you can see more here.
It is on Sunday 3rd December, at The Forum, Dumas Road Bentley.
2. Curtin Campus Sound Tour – Use your headphones while you go on a tour of the gardens, artworks and murals on Curtin's Bentley campus!
Curtain Sound Tour
You can download a free QR scanner app and start walking to discover Curtin's most iconic campus attractions! For this, you go up to your favourite mural, scan the QR code with your phone, and listen in on its fascinating facts and stories about the particular mural!
Sound Tour mural
You can use the "Explore Curtin Map" to find the rest of the campus attractions that have audio descriptions, including going on a special guided "journey" from the Japanese Garden to Spiritual Garden.
Each audio description is available to students, staff and visitors via SoundCloud, and you can obtain your copy of the map by emailing: email@example.com.
3. Curtin Nature Play Out Day – Bring the family for a day out at Curtin's Bentley campus with Nature Play WA.
There will be activities for the whole family, including kite making and rock painting, nature crafts, mud play, and a whole lot more.
This event will be on 9th December 2017, and the Curtin Nature Trail will provide the whole family with interactive information about all the different facilities available at Curtin.
You can download the Nature Play WA app and see more information about this event here.
4. KIN Village School Holiday Programme – the KIN Village School Holiday Programme is coming back to Curtin's Bentley campus! KIN Village is a "drop and leave" programme which is known for saying YES to kids and providing them with opportunities to play, build nature awareness and develop resilience through activities such as:
The last KIN Event at Curtin
The KIN Village programme will once again commence at the Bentley campus from 9.00 am to 4.00 pm on Tuesday 19th December 2017 and it will be held in the "pine and swale" area next to the Hockey Stadium along Hayman Road.
Kids having fun!
This programme is best suited for children between the ages of 6 and 12 years old. Tickets are $79 per child and if you cannot make it to this one, there will be another Kin Village programme on Monday 15th January 2018. This is a full day programme, and for the January one, you can register here.
Setting up a tent
5. OMEN Rig Gaming Platform - The OMEN RIG is coming to Curtin on Thursday 7th December from 4.00 pm until 10.00 pm.
The OMEN Rig
The OMEN RIG was officially launched at Oz Comic-Con in Sydney in late September and is a "mobile e-sports gaming platform equipped to conduct a full 6 vs 6 tournament style gameplay".
Have a great time here!
There is also a 2.4 m x 1.6 m screen, so if you are not actually playing, you can watch on this big screen!
Watch on the giant screen
The gaming title is "Overwatch", which is part of a global partnership agreement between HP and Blizzard 4. Come down to South Edinburgh Oval and have a go - you could even win a $1,800 OMEN LAPTOP!
And if you get hungry, The Pink Van and Jumplings tasty dumplings will be there to keep your energy levels up and stave off that hunger! This is a FREE event and everyone is invited.
The Bentley campus is open every day of the week and there is always a lot to do. They have regular food markets, gardening workshops, the Makerspace, giant games and much more. Make sure you keep 10.00 am to 2.00 pm free on Saturday 9th December when you can "explore, discover and experience" the Bentley campus. For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Add their new Snapchat Account - Curtin University recently transitioned into a new brand identity. "Explore Curtin" has now replaced their previous identity which was "Park'd". Everything else remains the same, so make sure you add their new account > username: explore_curtin.