As summer approaches search engine queries for 'how to get bikini ready in time for summer' and the like must spike; beach bodies are something that are on everybody's mind. Summer shouldn't be an excuse for getting fit just to show off a new bikini, but is it a great season for getting out there and getting active just for the sake of it. There is never a bad time to think about being healthier, and here are 5 great ways to exercise this summer.
1. Ride to Work The motivation to get active in the morning is usually at an all time low during winter. It is darker and colder in the mornings, and the last thing you want to do is get on a bike. Thankfully the sun shines brighter in summer, and you're less likely to get caught in a downpour, so riding to work is the perfect opportunity to get in some exercise. If you make a habit of it you might even want to get your workplace involved in National Ride to Work Day. It's usually held in spring, not summer, but at least you'll be prepared.
2. Go for a Walk Along the Beach
The Beach is a key part of the Australian summer, but it when you're relaxing on the sand, or just hanging out in the water, you're not actually getting too much exercise. One of the best ways to get exercise on the beach is by simply going for a walk. Try early in the morning, or around sunset when the beach isn't so busy. You'll get a better workout walking on sand than a path, because it takes more effort, but you'll also probably feel the burn.
3. Start Swimming Indoor swimming pools are a great source of exercise in winter, but when summer comes along there are plenty more to choose from. It can be far more refreshing swimming some laps in an outdoor pool, without the overwhelming smell of chlorine in the air. Check out a pool close to you and find out their times, or if you're lucky enough to have your own swimming pool then make sure you get the most out of it this summer.
4. Have an Early Morning Yoga Session Yoga is a great way to start your day, whatever your skill level. Classes can be great if you're starting out, but why not try teaching yourself with an instructional CD or book. Find a place outside and take advantage of the fresh air and early morning sunlight. You'll feel refreshed throughout the day, and you don't even have to leave your house.
5. Strap on Some Skates Okay, rollerblading may feel like its stuck a little in the 80s and 90s, but its still pretty cool. You might want to get the hang of it a little closer to home to make sure you can stay on your feet, but once you're steady head on down to the beach. Most beaches have a walking path that follows along the esplanade, and during summer this should be your rollerblading destination. It is a great aerobic exercise, and feeling the breeze with the sun on your back is a great way to get that summer feeling.
So stop worrying about looking hot to trot in a pair of bathers, instead start exercising this summer just because you can. Summer is one of the best moths of the year to get motivated, and with some great summer exercise activities it is no surprise.
Join adult squad Swimming class. Even if you are not a great swimmer having a coach encouraging you from the sideline is great and the hour goes by so quickly. You get to mix up different strokes and at time using flippers makes you feel like Thorpedo!!! I use Sans Souci Leisure centre but most pools offer these squads.