Why pay for a gym membership when Adelaide is jam-packed with places to work out in the fresh air for free, accessible year round. Here is a list of some Adelaide hills, suburb and beach walks, Workout equipment, and the sweat course you need to try.
An outdoor walk or run can help you in many ways. Being in the sunlight can increase happiness and self-esteem. I find walks to be so relaxing and a perfect time for 'me time', where I can think clearly and leave all stresses at home. Walks are also great to enjoy with a friend. Here are some more advanced walks and hikes than the typical walk around the block.
Mount Lofty Hike Marian Coastal Walking trail- 7.2 KM
Outdoor gyms offer you a great range of exercise equipment you can use while getting some vitamin D. Here is a list of some outdoor gyms to bring your sneakers and water and get moving.
John McVeity Park - Peachey Road, Smithfield Plains 5133
Salisbury Recreation Precinct - Waterloo Corner Road, Salisbury North SA 5108
Bentley Reserve - Holden Hill 5088
On the foreshore - Semaphore 5019
Leopold Conrad Reserve – Leopold Avenue, Northgate 5085
Jaycee Park - Lady Gowrie Drive, North Haven
Largs Bay foreshore - near Anthony Street, Largs Bay
Lochiel Park - Lochiel Parkway Campbelltown 5074
Wigley Reserve - Glenelg North 5045
Carnegie South Reserve - Crown Terrace, Royal Park 5014
Brompton Park - Burley Griffin Boulevard, Brompton 5007 For the full list of outdoor fitness parks click here
There is also nothing wrong with working out those legs arms and toning that tummy within the confinements of your own home. Here are some fantastic exercises you can do at home with no equipment to burn those calories and tone you up!
2. Plank- Place your hands directly under your shoulders, and feet hip-width apart. For an easier option, lean on your knees. Keep this position for at least 30 seconds. Your body should be in a straight line, keep your bottom In line with your shoulders. For more advanced options you can move your hips side to side.
3. Squats- Squat as deep as you can, remember not to bring your knees past your feet.
5. Squat jump- Squat deep and while you are rising jump as high as you can. Land softly into another squat.
6. Bicycle crunch
7. Sit-ups- do these at various speeds and positions to engage your whole core.
8. Mountain Climber- Starting in a plank position with your hands and feet both on the ground. Bring one of your knees towards your chest and then back down to repeat with the other leg.
9. Running or skipping- Run on the spot, down your hallway, skip or just dance. Just keep moving.