A freelance writer living in Perth, WA. My blog is coming soon. Watch this space!
Published December 23rd 2012
Relax and take it easy this festive season
Christmas and the New Year are supposed to be fun but this time of year can be so stressful. You stress out about presents, food, shopping, parties, family and everything else involved. So here are a few suggestions to help you through and make your festive season a little bit easier.
1. Learn to Say No. During the festive season there is so much to do and it's easy to take on too much. It is perfectly acceptabe to say no - politely of course. Especially if you have a young family it's easy to overdo it, so take it easy. Turn down an invitation or decline a request - it's your holiday season too, so don't run yourself ragged.
2. Ask for Help. If everything is getting too much for you, ask for help. Let people help out by bringing food or helping to clean up or running errands for you. Most people know how hard this time of year is and are happy to help out, so don't be afraid to ask.
3. Shop in the Sales. Buy cards, wrapping paper, and even gifts when they are on sale. Take advantage of the post-Christmas sales and you can save lots of money. It will also take some of the stress out of next years Festive Season.
4. Have Some 'Me Time'. It might seem almost impossible with everything that needs doing but you need to make time for yourself. It's important to relax so try to have a little 'me time' every day.
5. Excercise. Excercise is great for stress relief so try to fit in a bit of excercise each day. Something easy like walking, perhaps with a friend, can ease the tension and it's good for you.
6. Don't Give in to Guilt. Don't feel guilty if you can't do something or can't afford to buy something. Christmas is all about spending time with loved ones, not what you do or how much money you spend.
7. Plan. With all the stress of Christmas Day having a plan can help. Also plan some activities and games to keep everybody occupied, such as board games or charades.
8. Keep Track of your Eating. Don't overdo it with the food and drink during the Festive Season. It's easy to over indulge on festive foods but it can leave you feeling bloated, sluggish and grumpy.
9. Give Yourself a Break. Don't be too hard on yourself if everything isn't perfect. You're only human and everyone will understand how much work is involved.
These are just a few suggestions to help you get through the Festive Season. Don't sweat the small stuff, the most important thing is to enjoy time with your family and friends and have fun.