Courtney is a freelance fashion, art and design writer and content creator for www.mrgift.com.au - an online boutique specialising in quality gifts for men. Read more of Courtney’s work at www.alittlepinkbook.blogspot.com.au
Published June 2nd 2016
Workout in a safe, clean environment
If you've made the commitment to get fit, then the first thing you need (after a pair of trainers) is an inspiring workout environment. Sure, you could bounce outside into the fresh air for a brisk run, but running isn't for everyone, so sometimes a gym membership is the only way the work gets done. But if you're a woman, the last thing you want is a daggy gym with sweaty, grunting men throwing weights around (unless they look like one of the Hemsworths).
This is where a dedicated women's gym comes in handy. The best one I've discovered so far is Fernwood Belconnen.
Fernwood Belconnen gym front entrance
I've been a member of Fernwood Belconnen since 2012 and joined because: 1. I had a 3-month-old baby and wanted to get back into exercising and reclaim some "me time".
2. This was one of the only local gyms with an affordable crèche. 3. We had just moved to Canberra and I thought it would be a good way to meet people 4. The gym is part of Westfield Belconnen, which is convenient as I can pick up groceries and do other errands before or after a workout.
Cardio equipment in Fernwood Belconnen gym
Gym equipment in Fernwood Belconnen gym
What's to love about Fernwood Belconnen?:
1. Specialised diet and exercise programs designed by women, for women 2. Les Mills classes 3. Personal training, food coaching and cell-IQ
4. Ample weight and cardio equipment that women enjoy using
5. All-female environment – not a grunting man in sight!
6. Clean bathrooms and change rooms equipped with women's products such as deodorant, hairspray, hair dryers and straighteners, etc.
7. The crèche, which looks after children aged 3 months and over. There is an assortment of crèche time slots available in the mornings and evenings, which is great for busy mums.
8. 24 hour access - purchase a token and you can access the gym 24/7
9. Tea and coffee bar where you can also get complimentary breakfast in the morning.
10. Convenience – located in Westfield Belconnen, so ample free parking available.
Member's lounge at Fernwood Belconnen
Specialty products available for sale at Fernwood Belconnen gym
Fernwood Belconnen is great for all women, including:
1. Busy mums who want some uninterrupted workout time, whilst knowing their kids are having fun in crèche
2. Mature women who want to get the most out of their body, regardless of their age
3. Women who are new to fitness and want some advice on diet and exercise
4. Exercise enthusiasts looking for their next challenge
Fernwood's monthly magazine
If you're still unsure, you can try out a Fernwood Gym during their Lift the Nation national campaign, 20-26 June 2016. Lift the Nation is offering free access to all 69 Fernwood Gyms throughout Australia. All women are encouraged to drop in and attend a free strength training workshop/class and learn the basics and benefits of strength training.