There are 1000 reasons not to do the 1000 Steps in Ferntree Gully and every one of them is a person. Unfortunately, this walk is just too popular at the weekends now to be enjoyable. It's good to see so many people out doing something good for their bodies, but honestly, only do this walk if you:
1. Savour jostling past others on narrow, slippery steps (or them jostling past you depending on where you are on the fitness spectrum);
2. Relish spending forty minutes finding somewhere to park (it's better to catch the train – the walk is very close to the Upper Ferntree Gully train station);
3. Have an urgent need to see the signs that tell you things about the Kokoda Trail (yes, they're interesting, but make sure you can withstand the abovementioned crowds jostling past while you read);
4. Secretly covet hanging out with a crowd of sweaty, lycra-clad people at the top;
5. Categorically can't be bothered to find another walk among the myriad walking tracks nearby;
6. And, finally, you truly loathe the idea of seeing or hearing any kind of wildlife while you walk.
If you don't fit the list above, you could try doing the 1000 Steps on a weekday or before 6am. Or check out one of the other great trails nearby.