Loves going out and about in Canberra and writing about her adventures! Also addicted to coffee, high teas, escape rooms, and dressing up.
Published May 8th 2019
Pack your picnic baskets and enjoy the outdoors this weekend
Baby, it's getting cold outside.
But that's no reason to not get out and about and enjoy our Bush Capital! While the weather may turn positively glacial as autumn ends and winter sets in, there'll still be long stretches of dry, sun-drenched days and brilliant blue skies ahead of us. And I don't think there's any better way to spend these days than by enjoying a picnic (or two or three) with our loved ones.
We're very lucky here in Canberra that we've got plenty of lush green spaces that are just perfect for picnics. Not only are they picturesque locations-they are also well-maintained and well-resourced. So this weekend, pack your picnic baskets and picnic blankets, gather your family or friends, and head out to one of these favourite picnic spots in Canberra.
1. Cotter Avenue Located along the banks of the Cotter River near the Cotter Dam and about 25 mintues' drive from the Canberra City centre, Cotter Avenue has long been a favourite recreational place for Canberrans, especially for picnics and swimming. It may be just a tad too cool for swimming at the moment, but you can still enjoy a picnic under the glorious poplar and maple trees. You can also explore the Cotter River or go for a leisurely stroll to the Cotter Dam along the Cotter Dam Discovery Trail, and there's plenty of green space for the kids to kick a ball and run around. Cotter Avenue is well resourced with electric barbecues, picnic tables, plenty of parking spots, a children's playground, and toilet facilities. Cotter Avenue is located at the end of Cotter Road, Paddys River.
Located in Tuggeranong in the suburb of Fadden, off Bugden Avenue. Fadden Pines is a district park that's a favourite picnic spot for southsiders. It's got a playground, toilet facilities, electric and gas barbecues, picnic tables and picnic shelters, as well as a skate park.
3. Tuggeranong Town Park Located on the shores of Lake Tuggeranong, with access from Anketell Street. Tuggeranong Town Park has electric barbecues, picnic shelter and picnic tables, playgrounds, toilet facilities, walking trails and a skate park.
4. Casuarina Sands Located off Cotter Road, on the banks of the Murrumbidgee River. Casuarina Sands is an ideal spot for your picnic. Facilities include electric barbecues, picnic tables, toilets, children's playground, shelter, walking trails, and a canoe entry point.
5. Himalayan Cedar Forest at the National Arboretum Located within the National Arboretum, on Forest Drive off the Tuggeranong Parkway, Weston Creek. Enjoy a picnic under the shade of the majestic Himalayan cedars. Or make use of the free electric barbecues and picnic tables on the picnic deck. There are also walking trails, and a toilet is located nearby.
A popular picnic spot located at Acton on Garryowen Drive off Lady Denman Drive. There are picnic tables, playgrounds, toilet facilities, barbecues, walking and cycling trails, as well as water access points for canoeing, rowing and sailing.
7. Uriarra Crossing Located off Uriarra Road, about 25 minutes north west of Canberra city centre. Uriarra Crossing is a perfect spot to enjoy the Murrumbidgee River. Popular during summer for swimming, it's an idyllic spot for picnics and exploring in the colder months. Facilities include picnic tables, wood barbecues, toilets, scenic walking trails, and canoe entry points. Dogs are also allowed at Uriarra Crossing.
8. Weston Park, Yarralumla Located in Yarralumla, off Weston Park Road. Facilities include picnic tables, picnic shelter, playgrounds, toilets, barbecues, and cycling and walking trails. The Yarralumla PlayStation with its miniature train, mini golf and farm animals is also just across the road.
9. Yerrabi Pond
Located in Gungahlin with access off Mirrabei Drive and Gundaroo Drive. Yerrabi Pond has barbecues, picnic tables, toilets, walking trails, skateboard area, playspace, and an absolutely fun adventure playground complete with double/tandem flying fox and Burmese bridge.