1. Home Restaurant Everyone needs to eat, so get the kids involved this Father's Day. Instead of going out for lunch, keep it cheap and simple and have your own 'home restaurant' lunch. Plan a menu, do the grocery shopping and get the kids to write out the menu, set the table and decorate the dining area. While dinner is being prepared, get them to take Dad's drinks and food order. Don't forget flowers (can be home-made too) and napkins on the table. Treat Dad like a valued customer and serve his meal with a flourish. Then you join him because you wouldn't want him to eat alone.
2. Surprise Fishing Trip
Pack an esky with some juicy steaks, a couple of beers and take dad to a nice fishing spot where he can fish and relax while the rest of the family look after the more mundane task of cooking lunch.
The Valley Rattler (Courtesy of The Valley Rattler website)
3. The Valley Rattler Take Dad for a historic train trip on the Mary Valley Heritage Railway. The train departs from Old Gympie Station on the hour every 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month and 3rd Saturday of the month for twilight markets. Cost is $3-$5, free for children under 4.
Visit the Brisbane German Club in East Brisbane and treat Dad to some beautiful signature beers and an authentic German meal. Friday and Saturday nights are great fun with live entertainment, creating a genuine German atmosphere. Bookings are recommended. Membership is $5 per calendar year but the club accepts reciprocal memberships as well. Children under 18 years old are welcome until 10pm.
5. Kingston Park Raceway Get Dad to find his inner Michael Schumacher and enter him into the Kingston Park Raceway Father's Day Go Kart Challenge ($99) or sign him up for a regular Karting Session ($28-$125). Kids from 5 years welcome.
6. Suncorp Stadium Games Buy dad a ticket to the footy at Suncorp Stadium: Wallabies vs. Springboks on 7 September 2013 ($119), a home crowd Broncos game ($29-$60) or a Brisbane Roar game (adults $25-$42, family $72-$98).
7. The Gift that Lasts a Lifetime Give Dad a Gift Certificate for a Fathering Adventure weekend with his son or daughter. Weekends are $225 per person, including 2 night's accommodation, all meals, coaching, and outdoor adventure activities.
Thank you for your comment, bronm. You are correct that the steam train is not running. However, the Silver Bullet and the Red Rocket diesel trains are taking passengers on a short 15-minute trip. For this Father's Day, there's a special train and the Refreshment Rooms cafe has organised a Father's Day Lunch. For bookings, you can ring 0405 401 082.