I'm a part time actor and part time writer living in Perth. I love being on stage. I love going out with friends, doesn't matter what we do
Published December 11th 2016
What to do with the family whilst down south
Finding destinations for family holidays can often be difficult, especially if you've never been before and don't know what's available for the little ones, or the family as a whole. Here are a few ideas for the whole family in and around Margaret River.
1. Yallingup Maze A little under 30 minutes drive from the heart of Margaret River is the Yallingup Maze. This wooden maze is described as 'one of the best things to do in the Margaret River region'. Because of its wooden make up, you'll be able to come back again and again, as they change the layout of the maze four times a year, and no matter which format it's in, you'll be amused for quite some time trying to figure out how to get into the four corner checkpoints, a couple of which you have to go through hidden doors to find. And if mum and dad don't want to join the kids in the maze, there's a café on site and heaps of free games you can play. They even set up a bouncy castle when the weather is right.
Entry to the maze costs $12.50 for children, seniors, students and concession holders, adults cost $14.50 and children under 4 are free, this gives you unlimited access to the maze. There are family and group discounts available. The maze is located at 3059 Caves Road, Yallingup and is currently closed on Mondays but open all other days from 9.30am til 4.30pm.
2. Amaze'n Margaret River 5 minutes from the main street of Margaret River is Amaze'n Margaret River. Set amongst five hectares of manicured gardens you will find a café, 18 hole mini putt putt course, beautiful gardens, giant chess and draughts, outdoor table puzzles and a 22 year old, three foot high, giant hedge maze. There's something here for the entire family to enjoy and with picnic tables and BBQ's on site, you can make a whole day of it.
Admission prices start from $15 for children 4-16 and students, with adults being $20 for access to the gardens and mazes only. Golf can be added for an extra fee, or you can just go play golf, but you can't walk through the gardens. Amaze'n Margaret River is located at 9978 Bussell Hwy, Margaret River and is open from 9am til 5pm daily (closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Good Friday and for 5 weeks during mid winter)
3. Cheeky Monkey Brewery Yes while brewery doesn't normally evoke a family atmosphere, Cheeky Monkey Brewery is one of the exceptions. Why? Because while mum and dad can enjoy a cold beverage, they can be safe in the knowledge that their children are safe playing in the brewery's fully fenced playground and sand pit. With a kitchen on site, you will be able to fill up any empty tummies.
The Brewery is open from 10am til 6pm daily and is located at 4259 Caves Road, Margaret River. Menu items are available from 11.30am til 3.30pm daily, with pizzas available until 5pm, menu items start from $10.
4. Eagles Heritage Raptor Centre If your kids have ever been interested in birds of prey then Eagles Heritage Raptor Centre would be a great place to take them. Originally started in 1987 as a home for permanently disabled birds of prey who couldn't be returned to the wild, today it is a rehab facility for birds who are able to returned to the wild, as well as a home for those that can't. Visiting the centre today, you are able to interact with the different birds and learn more about them.
Entry into the centre costs $17 for adults and $10 for children, which goes towards care for the birds living and rehabbing in the centre. They are open from 10am til 4.15pm everyday except Friday and can be found at 341 Boodjidup Road Margaret River.
5. Chilli Waters It may not sound like the place to take kids, but names can be deceiving, because Chilli Waters can be a fun place for the entire family. With both a Supa Mini Golf course and a Big Ball Golf course, the family can be amused for hours playing both types of golf on two different courses. There's also a kiosk on site so you can satisfy any munchies that come along.
Games start from $9.50 for 9 holes of Big Ball Golf, they are open from 10am til 4pm daily and are at 314 Harmans Mill Road, Wilyabrup.
6. Colonial Brewing Co
Colonial Brewing Co is another family friendly brewing company. Family friendly because, in addition to the normal play equipment, there is an oversized sand pit and heaps of lawn for kids to run around on, with a fence ensuring they can't get anywhere near the onsite dam. Their kitchen menu even has something for the little tackers to eat when they get hungry.
Open from 11am til 6pm daily, except Friday nights when they are open til 10pm and they are on Osmington Road, Margaret River.