The Eryldene House was built in 1914. It was designed by the visionary architect William Hardy Wilson for Professor Eben Gowrie Waterhouse OBECMG and his wife Janet. They lived in the house with their children until 1977.
Eryldene Historic House and Garden, photo from the Eryldene Historic House and Garden website.
The Ku-ring-gai Council, the Australian Camellia Research Society, and concerned residents of Sydney were established as a private trust in 1979 to acquire and manage the property. The Eryldene Trust assumed ownership of the property in 1981, which has since been listed on the National Estate and the New South Wales Heritage Register.
The Eryldene Historic House and Garden is located at 17 McIntosh Street, Gordon NSW 2072. It is open on the second weekend of every month from April to September, and admission is $4 for children above 6 years old, $8 for adults, or $18 for a family of two adults and two children. Kids below 6 years of age enter free.
The 12th and 13th April 2014 is the centenary of the occupation of the house as a family home, and everyone is invited for the house warming from 10:00am to 4:00pm. Admission is FREE.