Based in Leeds, but exploring Berlin for the next two months.
Published January 26th 2013
Change: it can happen
Feeling like you should change your life, but not sure how to start? Are you stuck in a rat-race of work and expectations? Follow some simple steps and hopefully a positive change will follow easily.
1. Get up and move around! Whether you do a few squats in between writing reports or essays (I aim for 100 in one go, but start small and work up), or go for a short, brisk walk. You'll feel invigorated, and you may even begin to like exercise and work up to more vigorous sports such as running or tennis.
Simpy beginning an exercise regime by walking can lead to bigger things!
2. Keep in touch, whether it's writing a letter to a family member, or utilising Facebook for its intended purpose (that is, contacting people, not 'cyberstalking' or staring, gormless at a screen for hours), take some time to contact the ones you care about.
3. Add music to your life, whether sticking Classic FM on in the background while you read, or listening to some upbeat tunes as you get ready in the morning, music helps to invigorate you and cheer you up.
4. Hug more, it sounds ridiculous, but hug your parents, your children and your close friends. You'll feel great.
5. Accept help where you can get it. Whether a friend is offering to cook you a dessert or put the kettle on, say yes once or twice a week and allow a load off your mind. If you are ill or run-down, this can be a total relief.