Balaklava is located about one hour's drive north of Adelaide and about 25 kms west of Port Wakefield. Though a small agricultural township, it has a lot of historical significance. In 1876, an Adelaide grain grower established the town and named it after the site of the Battle of Balaklava during the Crimean War.
On entering the township, there is a big sculpture called The Federation Wall which commemorates the centenary of the Federation of Australia from 1901 to 2001. The wall is beautifully sculptured with ceramic and mosaic tiles and tells of stories of people associated with the district.