Freelance writer living in Mauritius, I love writing about exciting places to visit and taking photos of scenic views.
Published April 5th 2011
Mother's Day, a special event for a special person
Mother's Day has been so commercialised that it has lost its true meaning. As a mother, I feel it is totally unfair to buy your mum some flowers or chocolates or take her out for dinner on that day and get away with it. She deserves much more than that.
If you want to really surprise her on this Mother's Day, why not try out theses few ideas and make them feel really special? There is no need to go bankrupt, only a heart filled with true love for your mom and lots of imagination.
1. Create a card, designed especially for her. Collect some assorted plain and coloured pieces of paper. Cut out your card and fold it into half. Create a decorative border. Write down MOTHER'S DAY on the front of your card. Decorate with some embellishments, such as, stickers, photos and bits of ribbons.
Write down your personal greetings inside with a coloured marker. Put it in a personalized envelop and your card is ready. Please click here to view a video footage on how to make homemade greeting cards
2. Use your imagination and write a poem or song for her and hand paint it on an apron which she can use every day.
For example, you can write down some reasons why you love her and get it signed by all her siblings.
Click here to find more personalized ideas for your mum.
3. Remind her of your best time spent together by making some mementos with old photos.
• Create a special keepsake for your mum to show her just how much you love her by making a mini scrapbook for her.
• Fill in the pages with some old photos of good days spent together or write down wonderful events or touching quotes of her as a mum.
Check this website for more personalized scrapbooking ideas for your mum.
4. Let your children get involved in the preparation or you can bring them along with you.
• It is well-known that grand-parents love their grand-children much more than their own children. So, make your mum's day.
5. Don't put a price on everything.
• If you think your mom needs something that can make her life easier, forget about the price and just buy it but make sure not to wait for this date to gift it to her. Believe me, it will be more valuable to her if she gets it when she needs it rather than on a special selected date.