Freelance writer living in Mauritius, I love writing about exciting places to visit and taking photos of scenic views.
Published May 24th 2011
Ideal to warm up our cold winter nights, this yummy creamy pumpkin soup is made from a combination of blended pumpkin, stock and béchamel (white sauce) and is best served with crunchy toasts. Easy to cook, it is a sure hit among kids and vegetable haters.
1 large potato, peeled and diced 1 onion, finely chopped 1 leek, white part only, finely chopped 1 garlic clove, crushed 1L chicken stock 1 tsp. butter
1. Heat butter in a saucepan. Add the onion, leek and crushed garlic and cook for a few minutes until softened.
2. Add pumpkin, potato and stock and bring to boil. Cover and allow simmering on low heat until the vegetables are thoroughly cooked.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the white sauce.
Cheesy White Sauce
1. Heat butter in a saucepan. Sauté the finely diced onion for a few seconds. If you wish to have a stronger onion flavor, allow the onion to fry for a few minutes until slightly brown.
2. Add the flour. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon until mixture bubbles.
3. Remove from heat and add milk little by little, stirring constantly to prevent lumps forming.
4. Allow to cook for a few minutes on low heat until thick and creamy. Add the grated cheese and thyme while stirring.
5. Back to our soup; pour the pumpkin mixture in the cheesy sauce and mix. Blend until smooth.
6. Season according to your taste. Decorate with a bunch of parsley.
7. For a more spicy taste, add a little nutmeg and voila!
Tips for busy mums: Swap up the béchamel with 250 ml cream. Add the cream with the pumpkin mixture in the saucepan and mix in the grated cheese before blending.
Brush some slices of toast bread, cut into small triangles, with a mixture of butter, crushed garlic and dried herbs and grill in the oven for 10 minutes. Serve with the soup for a hearty dinner.
Nutritious and budget- friendly, pumpkins, apart from being a lantern during Halloween, can be turned into a large variety of savory and sweet dishes, from pumpkin scones to delicious pizza toppings.