In commemoration of 150 years of Goyder's Line, the communities of Orroroo, Carrieton and surrounds have unveiled a monument along Price Maurice Road halfway between Orroroo and Pekina.
The sculpture with its four pillars
During the severe drought of 1865, English-born surveyor George Woodroffe Goyder was asked to examine the northern pastoral areas and plot on a map the demarcation line between where rain had fallen and where the dry spell continued to prevail. He did so based on the variations in vegetation and this line became known as Goyder's Line. His contribution as one of South Australia's early Surveyors-General has been acknowledged in many ways across the state. The unveiling of this monument on the 6th of November 2015 adds to that acknowledgement.
Other acknowledgement of Goyder's Line (between Orroroo and Wilmington)
Commemoration of 150 Years of Goyder's Line is located within a large parking bay on the right-hand side of the road as you drive towards Pekina. Created by artist Dudley Siviour, the corrugated iron sculpture depicts Goyder leading his horse while surveying the region. Four pillars with information signage have also been erected to explain the significance of the monument.