Coldstream Cultural Trail
Experience More - Subscribe to Our Weekly Events Newsletter
The Coldstream Cultural Walk links Coombe Estate with the township of Coldstream. The walk features a series of eight sculptural markers which explore and celebrate aspects of the town and its history.
In a wooded area between Maroondah Highway and Coombe Cottage, the former home of Dame Nellie Melba, is the first of the sculptural markers. A display board lists the eight sites and a map showing their location.
1. "Behind the Hedge." This shows a stone mounted portrait of Dame Nellie and a brief bio.
In the same area is the Coldstream Anzac Memorial.
2. "Future Past." Opposite site 1, on the Melba Highway, are two photos depicting one of the first houses in Coldstream. As you walk around them they align to show the complete house.
3. "Change." On the corner of Killara Road and Maroondah Highway, outside The Lodge shopping centre is a large black box mounted on three legs, tripod style. On one side is a viewing lens that looks towards the same spot, circa 1950s.
4. "The Hall That Burned Down … Twice." This is a metal-framed façade of the hall. An attached storyboard tells of it being burnt down twice.
5. "Rest Area (With a Ghost Picnic Table.)" This is a large metal plate with the shape of a tree cut out with a background of real trees. The original highway sign showed a tree and picnic table. When it was pointed out to the council that there was no picnic table they removed the table from the sign, rather than build one.
6. "The Model Myth. (For Les Skate.)" Somewhere below the Coldstream Oval is the Model T Ford of Les Skate. The Model T, after decades of tireless service was abandoned in a local creek bed, now buried under the present-day oval. Les Skate was a long time and influential resident of Coldstream.
7. " Margaret Lewis Reserve
." A nature reserve on the corner of Maroondah Highway and Ingram Road which has a memorial to Val Sheehan. Val contributed much to recording the history of the Yarra Valley. Val Sheehan and the aforementioned Les Skate were siblings.
8. "Education Precinct." This is the Coldstream Primary School.
At locations 7 & 8, despite several searches, no sculptures were found.
This walk is a unique way of learning about the history of a location, even if you have lived in the area for over forty years.
208686 - 2023-06-16 06:13:18