Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
Home > Adelaide > Comments > The Rise and Fall of Cobham Hall
Your Reply
Optional Image: (jpg or gif)
Your Email:

Security Image:
yykyya
Security Text:
copy text from image above
Highlighted
minimum score: order: subscribe:
Thank you for your article on Cobham Hall. When I was a child I lived in Cliff Street, Glenelg East (I have recently restored this house which has been in our family for 5 generations, built C1880 but not heritage listed). To visit my grandparents at Parkholme or to go tadpoling in the Sturt Creek before it became a cement drain, I used to cut through the Cobham Hall property, running through stubble paddocks and over a little wooden bridge. I was horrified to read of the intended demolition of the grand house and feel this is heritage vandalism. I despair of the mentality to erase all remnants of our history in Adelaide. Too much has gone already and been replaced by collections of ill-designed boxes crammed together, with no character or sense of belonging. I was told I would make a small fortune by demolishing our old family home which is on a large block, and building town houses. But I felt this is one original house which will not be knocked down and even though it has been a costly exercise, what a wonderful feeling to see the old home, which holds so many wonderful memories for our family, restored and loved. Thanks again for your articles ... best wishes Suzanne Laslett
by suzan (score: 1|30) 1747 days ago
by Dave Walsh (score: 4), 1746 days ago
What wonderful memories Suzanne - thanks for sharing them with us. They add a whole new dimension to the history of this place, let's hope it survives for another hundred years.