I am a writer living in Annerley, Brisbane. I write about my suburb and other local spots. If you like my articles please subscribe (just after my name) or 'like' at the end of the post to let me know what else I should write! I love comments too :)
Published October 16th 2014
Get the party started in style in a relaxed and casual spot
With Christmas just around the corner, perhaps you're thinking about where to host your annual workplace party. Or maybe you want to take the extended family out for a shindig to celebrate the coming silly season. If you're looking for a relaxed and casual atmosphere or a bit of fancy nosh, this little list should help get you started.
There's some outdoors venues along with a few breweries if you're into something really laid back but I've also included some cocktail and wine bars with tapas foods if you want something which is a little more special. Book in advance to make sure you can grab a spot!
Eat. Drink. Be Happy.
1. Plenty - A sustainable cafe with loads of room for you to spread out for a lunch time party in a warehouse atmosphere. Great if your guests are into ethical eating and you want a casual atmosphere. (West End)
2. 5th Element - Perfect for wine, share plates and cocktails, this could be a Saturday afternoon party spot or somewhere to head for an evening of revelry. Make sure you book well in advance as 5th will be popular for Christmas parties. (Southbank)
3. Tippler's Tap - For the beer aficionados, this is the perfect spot for a seasonal party. Loads of great brews on tap and a wide variety of bottled beers from all over the world. $10 for a kilo of chicken wings should keep grumbling bellies happy along with a list of great american style foods on the menu. (Newstead)
4. Merthyr Croquet Club - Want to host your own party in a unique outdoor venue? This space has everything you need for a pop-up party in the clubhouse and with an experienced croquet member to teach you to play a few rounds while you sip champagne under the trees. (New Farm)
Methyr Croquet Club - Photo by Kath Chown
5. Boundary Street Markets - For a really different experience this Christmas, take your guests along to these great food and craft markets to enjoy the live music at The Motor Room bar or book out a table in the main market hall where the Tea Room will bring you tea, cakes and other yummy morsels while you chat. (West End)
Boundary Street Markets - Photo by Kath Chown
6. Azafran - For a fancy feast on seasonal produced and cooked in a modern Australian style, you can't go past this beautiful converted house in Annerley. It has private rooms for small parties and set menus if requested. Simply gorgeous for a December party. (Annerley)
Azafran - Photo by Kath Chown
7. Elixir - A rooftop bar in the middle of the Valley, you will feel like you're on an exotic holiday rather than in the middle of the city. Perfect for a casual Christmas event with cocktails, champagne, beer and tapas on the menu. (Fortitude Valley)
Photo Courtesy of Elixir Rooftop Bar
8. Bennies - For a cafe-style party you can't go past Bennies with it's long tables for large groups, great coffee and cake menu as well as lunch-time treats. Perfect for a mum's group or larger group of friends who want to avoid the bars at Christmas. (Annerley)
9. Billykart Kitchen - Eat food prepared by celebrity chef Ben O'Donoghue in a casual suburban setting. There is ample room for revelry and a great food and drink menu for you to choose from. (Annerley)
Billykart Kitchen - Photo by Kath Chown
10. The Foxy Bean and Foxy Drop - Whether you want a brunch time Christmas party or a tapas style event, this is the perfect spot for you to relax in a casual and comfortable cafe/restaurant. Open for breakfast 7 days and after hours from Thursday to Sunday, this is a large space with the opportunity to book for events. (Woolloongabba)
The Foxy Bean - Photo Courtesy of The Foxy Bean
11. Boo Bowls Club - You can book functions here specifically for your Xmas party with barefoot bowls, BBQ and beers to add into your package deal. This is a great opportunity to get outside and do something fun with your mates or work party. (Newstead)
The Boo Bowls Club - Photo by Kath Chown
12. Green Beacon Brewing Co - This is a fabulous spot for a large group who love their beer. Brewing on premises, there is a core 6 brews to choose from as well as an ever changing range of small batch beers. A great seafood and share plate menu to compliment is also perfect for a party. (Newstead)
Photo Courtesy of Green Beacon Brewing Co
13. Sassafrass - Book in for a special evening function in this weatherboard building in the heart of Paddington. The staff and management will do everything they can to accommodate every wish with an extensive BBQ menu, cocktails and a range of other great treats. (Paddington)
Photo Courtesy of Sassafras
14. Public - For a upmarket yet still casual atmosphere, this City restaurant is the perfect place for your Christmas party, dinner or lunch. There is a private area for hire and a large range of incredible food to choose from. (Brisbane CBD)
Photo Courtesy of Public
15. The Hyde Out - In the little southside suburb of Yeronga is a great bar a restaurant with ample tables, beautiful food and delicious beers, wine, cocktails and ice tea. This is a hidden suburban gem and would be perfect for a seasonal get-together. (Yeronga)
The Hyde Out - Photo by Kath Chown
16. Newstead Brewing Company - A great place for meeting mates for a casual celebration with great beer and pub food. Great market-hall atmosphere with cheery staff and a rocking menu which caters for all.