2 Gourmet Tomatoes Shallots/spring onion 2 Hass Avocados 2 packets of corn chips (I went with El Tora corn chips from Aldi) Sour cream Grated cheese Red kidney beans (just in a tin)
• Chef's Cupboard Chilli Con Carne Recipe Base (available from Aldi)
For my most recent attempt at this I used 1kg of premium beef mince, 2 packets of corn chips rather than 1 and 2 Chilli Con Carne recipe bases instead of 1 so that I made a huge party batch of Chilli Con Carne Nachos. The amount of sour cream you'll need depends on how much you think you'll need and the same goes for the grated cheese.
• Peel, wash and dice the onion. Put the diced onion into an oiled frying pan and turn it on low.
• About 2 minutes later add the mince.
• Wash and dice the tomato and put aside for later.
• Open the tin of red kidney beans. Strain them over the sink then give them a rinse in cold water. Put them aside for later.
• Wash and cut up a few shallots and put aside for later.
• Cut the avocados in half, remove the seeds and spoon the contents into a bowl for later.
• Cook the mince and onion mix until the mince is almost ready. Open the packet of Chef's Cupboard Chilli Con Carne Recipe Base and add it to the mix with a cup of cold water. Stir the mix thoroughly until the meat is completely covered.
• Add the tomato and kidney beans to the mince mix and stir until the chilli con carne sauce is covering the mince, tomato and kidney beans entirely.
• Cook this until the sauce has thickened and the meat is completely cooked (I just use my instincts on this).
• Line a baking tray (or something of the sort) in aluminium foil.
• Put the corn chips in the tray evenly.
• When the mince mix is cooked turn the hot plate off and empty the frying pan's entire contents over the corn chips in the tray.
• Turn the oven on to 180 degrees celsius and wait for it to heat up.
• Cover the meat mix with grated cheese and add the tray to the oven until the cheese has melted.
• Put the sour cream, shallots, avocado and remainder of the grated cheese on the dining table (or wherever you're intending to eat).
• Get the table ready with cutlery, drinks etc.
• When the meal is ready, turn off the oven and carefully remove the meal.
• Spoon portions of the meal into bowls or onto plates, add some sour cream, shallots and avocado (and extra cheese if you like) on top and its ready to consume.
Chilli Con Carne Nachos (before I added some sour cream)