I'm a freelance writer and jewellery designer loving life in the heart of Inglewood, Perth.
Published July 31st 2012
Perfect dates for the hopeless (and cashless) romantic
[ADVERT]You can't put a price on romance...however, in the city where a coffee costs $4, and a pub dinner for two tips the scales at $80, it pays to be a cheap date!
As a coupled-up Perthonality myself, I can tell you there are plenty of truly romantic opportunities here for the tall, dark, and impoverished slim-pockettes. Take your date on one of these adventures, and you might just get asked in for a coffee at the end (and save yourself $4).
1. Have a twilight picnic at Kings Park. Pack a good clean skin wine (WA Cleanskin Cellars stocks some of the best), some cheese, crackers, olives, tea lights and a warm blanket. Find a good vantage point, such as those near the Botanic Garden which have spectacular views of the city. Then snuggle up and watch the sun set over the Swan River. (Cue yawn and casual arm stretch over your date's shoulder!)
Sweep them off their feet at the Subi Market.
2. Grab Saturday brunch at the Subi Farmers Market. Each Saturday from 8am-12pm the Subiaco Primary School transforms into a feast of fresh produce, flowers, coffee and brunch stalls. Woo your date with crepes from Le Crepe Chocolat, or keep it short and sweet with a pastry from Miss Marie's Bakery.
3. Uncover Perth's street art gems. Love is like street art - it can spring up in the places you least expect it! So grab your date by the hand and take them on a Street Art Walk through the back streets of Perth. Exploring hidden lane ways send hearts a flutter.
4. Go cycling together. Set the wheels in motion with a bike ride along the scenic Swan River foreshore. With stunning views and pods of dolphins swimming alongside, love is in the air. Find a complete map of cycling trails here.
5. Share some sweet deals with a spot of 'comp shopping'. It's op shopping with a competitive twist. You and your date see what unique vintage item you can buy for each other with $20. Perth is home to a treasure trove of vintage op shops, swapmeets and good old fashioned garage sales. This activity can also give you an interesting insight into your potential life partner. A sweet little necklace can be a winner. A vintage pair of dentures? It may make a first kiss even more awkward, and I suspect they're going to be paying for their $4 coffee!