As a plaque near the entrance explains, while the pavilion was only opened in 1995, its roof existed long before this date. It was originally built in 1938 as a cover for a steel reservoir in East Kempsey.
The reservoir was demolished in 1993, but the roof was deemed re-usable and was dismantled and then reassembled at the current site. The project was funded under the State Government Area Assistance Scheme and through local fundraising.
The pavilion that stands today is quite large, with tables, a barbecue and an outside tap. There is play equipment nearby, as well as a sports field, toilets, a car park and even a swimming pool.