This is a great way to have a great, fantastic holiday away from the mundane lives that we otherwise lead, and do so while not costing us (each) an arm and a leg.
Here's a list of things we decided to do to make the most of our getaway to the sunshine coast of Australia:
1. Plan your airline tickets at least 3 months in advance This will ensure you get the best offers! Look out for group deals too.
Our tickets to the most epic 21st celebrations
2. Book your accommodation at Surfer's Paradise Because it's a beautiful feeling to wake up to a glorious sunshine and the spectacular view of the beach
The view from our accommodation - Surfers Paradise
3. Plan a series of day-trips to the Worlds - Sea World, Movie World, Wet 'n' Wild You can book a group booking for all three worlds at one cost, and you will also receive a pick-up and drop-off service from your accommodation!
Cable car service - Sea World
4. Group-shopping for groceries This will allow you to prepare breakfast at your accommodation and pack lunches for when you are away on your day trips. You will be saving a lot more, and you will also get the chance to help with the cooking. A win-win situation, if you ask me!
Even this fortune cookie agrees!
5. Participate in the Wicked Club Crawl This is a great way to kick start your 21st celebrations by meeting new people, enjoying with your close friends and generally having a fantastic night all-round!
Wicked Club Crawl photo - heaps fun! (Faces hidden for privacy)
6. Walk along the promenade On the night when you have nothing better to do, head over to the Surfers Paradise promenade and go for a stroll.
Surfers Paradise promenade
7. Alternative to 6, go for a night swim
And pick a night that is particularly warm - you will love every minute of it.
Waiting for the waves to add to our night swim fun
8. Get an adrenaline rush by doing something adventurous
The girls and I had a great time at Sea World, so much so that we each spontaneously decided to do something we had never done before. Among the options were scuba diving (for which you need a license), snorkelling and swimming with seals. It is safe to say that these were the highlights of our trips.
It does cost a bit, but it is something that is worth accomplishing.
9. Take a big suitcase and only pack the essentials
I'd recommend 4 pairs of underwear, 4 tops, 2 skirts/pairs of shorts, 1 dressy piece of clothing, 2 pairs of shoes (thongs for walking, heels for dancing), sunscreen, 1 towel, 1 pair of bathers, 1 water bottle
Did I mention sunscreen?
10. Have a fantastic time
Because you only turn 21 once!