Although caramel, citrus and tea may not seem to be ideal or even tasteful combinations of flavours, in actual fact it's heaven! If you are looking for a new and different recipe, you'll love this. I guarantee you will be pleasantly surprised.
1/2 cup brown sugar 1/4 cup golden syrup 1 tsp lemon rind 2 eggs 1 1/2 cups of raising flour 1/2 cup butter milk double cream to serve
Earl Grey Syrup Ingredients
4 earl grey tea bags
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 tbs of lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrease.
2. Grease 20cm round cake tin or line with baking paper.
3. With an electric beater, beat butter, sugar and golden syrup. Add eggs and lemon rind. Detach beaters. Fold in flour and milk. pour cake mixture into the tin.
4. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
5. After cake is cooked and cooled, infuse tea bags in one cup of boiled water for 5 minutes or so. Remove teabags. Add the tea, sugar and lemon juice in pan over the stove on a low heat. Let it simmer for 6 minutes so it thickens,
6. Pour syrup all over the cake - it should absorb into the cake.