Canberra wouldn't be the Bush Capital without its trees. And we can celebrate the beauty and wonder and magic and enormous positive benefits that trees provide for us during Canberra Tree Week 2019!
Canberra Tree Week is a celebration of all things trees. Taking place from May 4-May 12, 2019, there will be a wide range of activities and events held throughout Canberra to honour and celebrate trees, including:
1. The ACT Tree Climbing Championships. Held on May 4 at the Australian National Botanic Gardens, Eucalypt lawn. There will be six events across the day including work climb, open ascent, speed climb, throwline, aerial rescue and masters. A great spectator sport for the whole family. From 8am-4.30pm.
2. Hug A Tree at the National Arboretum. On May 4 at 11am. Hug a Tree Day brings people together to celebrate the special relationship between people and trees. Appreciate nature, practice mindfulness and share the love whilst everyone simultaneously hugs a tree in the Camden White Gum Forest.
3. Mountain bike ride through Kowen pine plantation on May 5. Come and visit a working commercial forest and enjoy a social cross country bike ride with friends. BYO transport, mountain bike, helmet, water and snacks. Fitness level - beginner as the ride is slow paced and can cater for all fitness levels. From 8.30am-12pm. Bookings essential. This is a free event. Book here to secure your places.
4. Tree Planting - Pinnacle Nature Reserve on May 5 from 9a,-11.30am. Meet at Springvale Drive carpark opposite De Salis Street in Weetangera. Places are limited and bookings essential to John at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0405 331 405.
5. Tree Week themed story time for kids on May 6 at Erindale Library, May 7 at Tuggeranong Library, and on May 8 at Woden and Kippax Libraries. From 10.30am-11.30am. Storytime is a session full of tree-themed stories, rhymes and songs suitable for 3-5 year old children and their parents/carers.
6. Guided Forest Walks at the National Arboretum during Canberra Tree Week. Go here for details of dates and times.
7. Farrer Ridge Woodland Walk on May 11 from 9.30am-11am at Farrer Ridge Nature Reserve, Muresk St, Farrer. Places are limited so please register here.
For the full list of events that you can join in during Canberra Tree Week 2019, please go here.