Loves going out and about, drinking coffee, eating chocolate, and writing about her adventures!
Buy unique, handcrafted, locally made gifts this Christmas
Gift-giving is one of the most cherished, time honoured traditions of the Christmas season. In our modern, affluent Western societies, the emphasis on presents has become so huge that Christmas is the biggest transaction of the year.
But this year, rather than getting swept up in buying presents from the big stores, why not buy presents that are unique, handcrafted, handmade, are locally and lovingly made and produced and support traders, sellers and small businesses in Canberra and the surrounding region?
Here's a selection of ten Christmas markets coming up where you can find the perfect Christmas gifts!
1. Alliance Francaise Christmas Fair and Open Day on November 17. Get your Christmas shopping done and join in some festive fun "Ó la franšaise" at the Alliance Francaise Christmas Fair and Open Day 2018. Taking place on Saturday November 17 from 10am-3pm in Turner, there'll be unique handcrafted artisan gifts, Christmas decorations, French clothes, cheeses, wines, bread and pastries for sale. Alliance Francaise de Canberra is located at 66 McCaughey St, Turner.
2. Old Bus Depot Christmas Markets. Shop for unique gifts and enjoy the festive fun at the Old Bus Depot Markets this December. On December 1, the theme is Christmas Kids and so there'll be plenty of fun for the young ones. December 8 and 9 is the Super Christmas Weekend, and on December 15, the theme is Christmas and Designer Weekend where dynamic groups of creatives feature their awesome designs in jewellery, fashion, accessories, homewares, and artwork. And on the last weekend before Christmas, December 22-23, it's all about Christmas and collectables, from records, china and vintage clothing, to furniture and antiques. It's all happening this Christmas at the Old Bus Depot Markets, 21 Wentworth Avenue, Kingston.
3. The Great Australian Christmas at Federation Square, Gold Creek on Saturday December 1 from 10am-7pm. Celebrate Christmas at Gold Creek with a fabulously festive day for the whole family! There'll be live music, wine tasting, a tasty BBQ, a visit from Santa and the Christmas Fairy, and lots of great Christmas shopping with plenty of in-store offers.
Also, lots of traders in Gold Creek will also be extending their business hours to 6pm every Wednesday from November 7 right up to Christmas. So you'll have plenty of time to get your Christmas shopping done!
4. Christmas Fayre at All Saints Anglican Church on December 1, from 9am-2pm at All Saints church, 9 Cowper Street, Ainslie. There'll be Christmas puddings, cakes, jams; plants; crafts and holiday ornaments, plus Devonshire teas.
5. Hartley Hall Markets-Special Christmas Markets on Sunday December 2 from 10am-3pm, Victoria Street, Hall. Come along and experience a friendly atmosphere and great bargains at the Hartley Hall Markets.
6. The Canberra Christmas Market on December 8 and 9 at the Fitzroy Pavilion, Exhibition Park in Canberra (EPIC), Flemington Road, Mitchell. From 9am-3pm. Shop for your Christmas gifts, foods, treats, stocking fillers, and some unique Christmas present ideas.
7. Molonglo Valley Markets on December 9. Come along to the fourth Molonglo Valley Markets of the year. Taking place on Sunday December 9 from 10am-2pm at the heritage listed Stromlo Cottage in Coombs, the markets will be the perfect opportunity for you to catch up on your Christmas shopping, as well as catch up with friends and neighbours over a cuppa and live music. Don't forget to bring cash as not all stallholders will have EFTPOS facilities available.
8. Gunning Christmas Market on December 9 from 8am-2pm, Gunning, NSW. Head out to the country and come out to Gunning for your Christmas shopping! You'll find lots of specialty made Christmas gifts as well as food stalls and the Lions Club BBQ to keep you going. You can find the Christmas markets in and around the historic Gunning courthouse.
10. Last Minute Christmas Wine Market on December 22 from 3pm-6pm, Cellar Door, 2 Phillip Law Street, Acton (in the Nishi building). Stallholders will include wines, spirits, chocolates, books, plants and fresh produce - all from the Canberra region. For your last minute Christmas gifts!