A foodie delight, Butter Chicken is a delicious chicken dish which despite having its origin in the Punjab region of South-east Asia has won hearts around the globe. Varying from hot to mild, this dish is highly versatile and can be cooked in numerous ways to appeal to the palate of the consumers. This dish is great for both regular dining experience and large gatherings.
Now if you have licked your hands at the restaurants wondering how you could prepare this delectable dish in the comfort of your home and help yourself to multiple servings on your own dining table, then it is time to find out the easy way of creating the magic in your own home.
1. 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil 2. 4 tablespoons of butter 3. 1 Kg chicken thigh fillets, chopped into curry pieces (small cubes) 4. ¼ teaspoon of chili powder 5. 2 tablespoons of ground coriander 6. 2 tablespoons of ground cumin 7. 1 cup of tomato puree
8. 1/3 cup of thick natural yoghurt
9. 1/3 cup of thickened cream (Coles cream will do nicely)
10. 1 finely sliced onion
11. 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
12. Salt (as per your need)
13. Sugar (as per your need)
14. Coriander leaves to garnish
1. Heat oil and 2 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan. Cook the chicken in the butter and oil until it turns brown. Put the chicken away in a separate plate.
2. Heat the onion and the garlic in the oil until they take the beautiful brown hue. Add coriander, cumin and chili powder and cook for 1 minute. Remember you can add more chilli to make it hot or less chilli to make it mild.
3. Then add the tomato puree and a pinch of salt and simmer everything for 10 minutes.
4. Add the chicken to the gravy along with yoghurt and cream. Simmer for another 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
5. Add a tablespoon of sugar to the curry. Again feel free to vary the quantity of sugar to tailor to your needs. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of butter over the curry and leave the lid on, to infuse the curry with the mouth-watering aroma of butter.
6. Once ready, ladle the curry into bowls and garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve with Jasmin rice or roti.
Butter Chicken and roti (Image via Wikimedia Commons)