An obelisk was erected by the Cloncurry Shire Council, Mount Isa Mines Limited and Mary Kathleen Uranium Limited to commemorate the Burke and Wills expedition in 1861. The obelisk was located near Corella Creek on Barkly Highway, about 43 kilometres west of Cloncurry and about 76 kilometres east of Mount Isa. It is believed that the expedition of Burke and Wills crossed this spot on 22nd January 1861 on their journey across the Australian continent.
A short explanation about Burke and Wills expedition that can be found at Cloncurry Unearthed
Cloncurry Township actually was first surveyed in 1876 but Burke and Wills, who had passed this route for their expedition on the way from Melbourne to the Gulf of Carpentaria in 1861, named the region and the river nearby 'Cloncurry' after Burke's cousin, Lady Elizabeth Cloncurry of County Galway in Ireland.
You can find the obelisk under a big tree located not far off the Barkly Highway, with clear signage pointing to the site. This site was actually one of Burke and Wills' campsites on their expedition. While camping on this site, Burke accidentally left behind his water bottle, which is on display now at Cloncurry Unearthed Visitor Information Centre.
Clear sign on Barkly Highway that pointing the obelisk location
Despite pro and cons about the Burke and Wills expedition, everyone can agree that this was the first expedition to cross the most inland of Australia. This obelisk is worth a quick stop to read the inscription.