The capital of Australia is fast becoming a culture capital, with cool bars and cafes, some of the most intriguing historic treasures, action and adventure attractions and breathtaking natural wonders! There are so many things to enjoy in Canberra and the list below includes some of the best things to do, see and experience... they are a must add to your Canberra Bucket List.
1. Reach for the stars Enjoy a night out with the stars with this attraction at Mount Stromlo Observatory . There are public observing nights where you will be able to see the rings of Saturn, the craters of the moon as well as the spectacular star clusters and nebulae. Click here for website.
There is no need to break the bank and catch a flight to Africa to get up close and personal to the king of the jungle. At Jamala Wildlife Lodge located in the spectacular National Zoo & Aquarium a world of adventure awaits you with luxury and excitement. You will get to experience the thrill of close encounters with some of the world's most dangerous and endangered animals in a relaxing five star environment. This once in a lifetime experience is a must add to the bucket list! Click here for website.
3. Picnic time Pack a picnic and enjoy overlooking the city at the National Arboretum as you surround yourself with nature and peaceful moments. Some picnic areas include the Himalayan Cedar Picnic Deck, the Cork Oak Forest and many other forests. Click here for website.
4. See Australia's first ever Oscar statue At the National Film & Sound Archive you will find Australia's first ever Oscar Statue and here you can also learn about the interesting history about the Oscar.
5. Experience the adventures of Ned Kelly The National Gallery of Australia showcases Sidney Nolan's iconic Ned Kelly series with 1946-47 paintings of the 19th century bushranger Ned Kelly. The National Gallery of Australia holds all of the paintings of this series except for one. Click here for website.
6. See the best view of the city Walk up to Red Hill where you will find the best view of the city and make sure you experience this both during day and night time for two different perspectives of the city! You will see national icons, sweeping vistas and also birdwatching can be enjoyed here too. Click here for website. 7. Visit the Australian Alps!
Discover natural wonders as you take a day trip to Namadgi National Park. Namadgi is an Aboriginal word for mountains south-west of Canberra and here you will find over 100,000 hectares of alpine wilderness and remoteness from the highest peak of Mount Bimberi, grassy frost hollow valleys, alpine meadows and snow gum woodlands, making this National Park a natural wonderland. No wonder it made it to the bucket list! Click here for website.
8. Sample the world of breweries
The BentSpoke Brewery is one of the biggest beer fonts in the country and it has a microbrewery and taphouse where you will find world-class craft beer experiences. Click here for website.
9. Wine sampling
Sample over 400 wine varieties at Benchmark Wine Bar. Since opening their doors in April 2003, it is the only true wine bar in ACT. Click here for website.
10. Have breakfast at a bookstore
Indulge in a tasty breakfast while enjoying a good read at the Muse Canberra. Muse Canberra is a unique venture in Canberra where you will be welcomed to good food and the magic of the written word. Click here for website.
11. A Romantic Sunset.
Head out to Mount Ainslie Lookout and enjoy a romantic moment as you watch the sunset at this picturesque lookout. Click here for website.
12. Hop on & Hop Off
Whether you live in Canberra or just visiting the Hop Off & Hop Off Explorer Bus in something to add to the bucket list as it takes you around the capital city offering 13
Stops to the top attractions around Canberra, making it the easiest and best way to see attractions and discover something new. Click here for website.
13. Walk the bridge to bridge
Get active and enjoy a leisurely picturesque walk from one bridge to another with a 1 hour loop across Commonwealth Ave and Kings Ave Bridges. You can even divert through to Commonwealth Park, The Carillion or even take a little cruise boat trip.
14. Play outdoor games.
Who said playing is just for children? At The National Arboretum you can let your inner child out by having fun in the giant acorn cubby houses and banksia- shaped pods. Click here for website.
15. Hire a bike and take a ride
Hire bikes and ride through the relaxing scenery of Lake Burley Griffin. You can make a day out of it by having a romantic picnic too! Click here for website.